Caught in a Lie

Chapter 14

Lab coat Linsey

“Come in.”

I froze, my hand on the door, taking a deep breath before pushing it open. I paused, my attention immediately drawn to his wood desk. I’d heard of them, but hadn’t personally seen them.

Dimitri’s eyes flickered up to me and he smiled before glancing back down at his papers. That smile would be gone the second he heard why I was here.

I had tried looking for Experiment Varian and Arcelia 14786. In fact, I’d been close to them, very close. They’d tried removing their shockers like I’d expected in a hardware store. When I entered the man there told me he didn’t know what I was talking about. I actually believed him too. I would’ve walked out had I not seen the glint of shiny silver.

A shocker.

So I stayed, telling him he had one last chance to tell me where they were. He didn’t, and I shot him as a result. The gun had been hard to obtain, but it had been worth it in the long run because before I shot him I saw his eyes flickering to the back of his shop, giving away their positions.

Despite my efforts, by the time I made it there they’d been long, long gone. I had searched the lab and its outside perimeter for a few more hours before realizing they would go where Experiment Varian had been captured at. His home.

But I didn’t know where that was.

That information was tightly sealed and left in the office of our director. Which meant only Dimitri had access to those files. I couldn’t exactly just steal them because they were password protected and only one person knew the password.

Dimitri.

So I came to tell him about their escape, hoping that he would let me off lightly since I was his assistant. Maybe he’d let me redeem myself by giving me the chance to bring them back.

“What brings you here Linsey?” He asked, his eyes still focused on his work. But I’d heard the rumors. He could have his back turned towards you and still know exactly what you were doing.

“I’m here to tell you about the unfortunate event that happened during the blackout.” I said, my hands folded and my head bowed down. I watched him, waiting for a reaction of some sort, but I didn’t get any at all. He didn’t even pause in his writing.

“Yes?” He murmured and I took a deep breath.

“Both Experiment Varian and Arcelia 14786 escaped.” I said, glancing up. But I was only met with silence and the unfaltering scratching of his writing utensil.

“And why are you telling me this now?” He asked calmly, but I could feel the tension in the room stacking up, waiting for the right moment to suffocate me.

“I tried to bring them back, but they wouldn’t listen to me.” I started, the lie slipping off my tongue before I could stop it. “They were crazed.” I said, my heart pounding while my expression remained exhausted.

“Really?” Dimitri asked, finally looking up and I caught a glint in his eyes. I hesitated before nodding. “Then explain to me why I had a report coming to me saying you killed someone who claimed not to have knowledge of them?”

Silence was all I had.

His eyes grew cold within half a second, his features taking on a dangerous look. “You’re going to learn real quick that I don’t take kindly to liars Linsey.” He said and I felt my body shrinking inside of itself at his piercing look.

“You’re going to find them both Linsey. You know why?” He asked, his voice chilling me to the core. I shook my head, not able to talk.

“Because I’ll kill you if you don’t.”