The Man Who Ran Everything

Chapter 5

Arcelia 

I froze, waiting for the lab coat to get back up, yet he didn't. He just laid there with his head tilted in a funny way, his chest not rising or falling as he breathed just a few seconds before.

Varian was crouched over him, his chest moving up and down rapidly with anger unlike the still lab coat under him. As his eyes flashed over to mine I froze. They weren't the pretty blue they had been earlier.

They were red except for the slits of black in the middle of his eyes. Even the white was gone, all of it replaced with the blood red color. But I was fascinated. Fascinated like He was when I talked with my new voice.

Varian's eyes stayed on me and for a small second we just stared at one another - me and Varian's new side.

Then the ringing started.

It always starts small and low before growing louder and louder until you’re screaming and begging. Then it doesn't stop. It never seems to stop.

The ringing seemed to go on for an eternity, and just like before, everything went black.

Varian

I woke up, not remembering who and where I was for a second. All I noticed was the intense brightness of the place I was in and the dull buzzing in my ears. I remembered where I was as I took in the white room. It was my prison.

A feeling of realization hit me hard and fast as I recalled the crime that I had recently committed. I'd just killed someone without a second thought.

I remember being angry at him for not even blinking an eye when I had snapped at him. He didn't even look the slightest bit concerned and that hit a nerve.

Somewhere in that time something else took control of my actions and I remember succumbing to it willingly after feeling its own anger as red as mine. But I didn't know his was a murderous anger.

I recall watching behind what felt like a clear window, seeing but not being able do to anything as it started growling at the scientist who wouldn't take the situation seriously. He just kept scribbling on his clipboard like there was nothing wrong.

The thing inside me had warned him twice. It warned him but all he did was get a shine in his eyes and scribble more furiously. That had been the last straw for it.

I remember watching it blindly lunge at the scientist, wrapping hands that looked too much like my own around his neck before giving a slight flick. Straight after there was a sickening crack that I could still hear perfectly. But I don't remember feeling anything but fierce protection over the girl looking at me.

I couldn't remember exactly who she was but I knew she was important. I felt like the strange, unblinking girl was mine to protect and keep safe from all the dangers of the harsh and cruel world.

That was all I could recall before the piercing ringing started and didn't stop until I blacked out.

Dimitri

I could feel everyone's fear as I strolled through the hallways at a leisurely pace, not bothering with rushing. Everything was waiting on me before it continued and it could afford to wait longer.

The staff here didn't think I noticed them staring at my back, boring holes into it when I passed them. Idiots. When I looked at them in the eyes they looked down like the submissive followers they were, too afraid to confront me.