Altered Moods

Chapter 19

Varian

It was odd but pleasant waking up to find her curled close to me, her head resting lightly against my shoulder. I remember smiling like a fool before gently moving and pulling her closer. She hadn't woken; instead she sighed and nuzzled closer.

I finally glanced at her to find that her face was covered with dried tears that I was sure she’d tried hard to hold back. Her hands were also spotted with what looked like blood. I prayed it wasn't her own blood before clenching my jaw. I knew I should've gone after her. Why did I listen to Diana in the first place?

I'd called out Arcelia's name in the hope that she'd stop or at least hesitate. But she hadn't. She had only kept running and running. I remember cursing under my breath before starting out the door to run after her. She didn't realize how dangerous it could be outside, how cruel the world was. However, before I could do anything Diana had grabbed my forearm, sinking her nails in for a better grip and to catch my attention.

I don't remember the exact details, but I remember snapping at her and trying to yank away. She'd never understand how much Arcelia meant to me or just how much the Lab had screwed her up unless Diana herself had been in my situation. So I didn't bother explaining why I needed to run after her.

Diana had said something about me being stupid and that running around these parts with an experiment was only going to get me killed. I remember snapping back defensively before she got quiet. She had looked me straight in the eye before mentioning the amount of protection she could get for giving the Lab a rogue experiment’s location. I’d been blind with rage by then, my mind temporarily forgetting the way everything worked around here.

She was threatening Arcelia. If Diana knew how helpless Arcelia was, she wouldn’t have threatened her. She would have offered some help, even if it was only a little.That was the point at which I’d felt the monster inside me growl, low and chilling. It had freaked Diana out enough for her to jerk back in disgust. I didn’t bother trying to convince her I was still me; I ran outside.

I’d spent hours trying to find her only to end up back at the building alone. I had gone back in hopes of finding her there, waiting for me. But she wasn’t there either. I’d been about to leave but I’d felt a sharp pain in the back of my head before a black slate rushed at me. The last thing I heard before blacking out was Diana whispering, “It’s for the better.”

That’s when I’d woken up with Arcelia resting in my arms, oblivious to me watching her. She looked peaceful compared to the usual detached emotion that etched her face. I didn’t realize I was reaching out to her with my other hand until it hovered over her hair. I hesitated before brushing the loose strands behind her ear and gently rubbing my thumb along her cheek.

I smiled lightly as she let out a small breath and let her nose skim my neck, causing me to shiver. She might be subconsciously pressing closer to me, but it was better than nothing. I almost preferred her this way, peaceful and trusting. But hearing her melodious voice say my name and feeling her move closer to me when she thought I wasn’t paying attention were a few of the things I wouldn’t give up.

I suddenly felt her stir in my arms, drawing me away from my thoughts and back to reality.  

Arcelia

Waking up was more pleasant than usual. Waking up in the Lab involved me shivering, for the thin sheet never kept me warm enough. I would wake up, knowing what was going to happen. There were rarely surprises at the Lab until Varian came along. Then there wasn't a day without a sprinkle of shock.