Anger

Chapter 4

Arcelia

Today I was supposed to visit Varian with Him. He wanted to watch us interact up close, but He wasn't here today so a lab coat came and got me instead.

I watched the lab coat type in the password and the door opened before the lab coat entered and I followed along.

"What are you doing here?" Varian said coldly to the lab coat. Then he saw me and I tensed, staring back. I wasn't going to let him know how much he'd hurt me.

"Hey Arcelia." He said, his blue eyes going along with the smile on his face. But I wasn't falling for it. I'd fell for Him only to be used again and again and left crying from my pain alone in my room.

"Experiment Varian." I replied with a neutral tone and his eyes flickered before looking back at the lab coat.

"What are you doing here?" Varian snapped again and I flinched at the harsh tone of his voice while the lab coat scribbled on his clipboard.

"Watch your tone Varian." The lab coat warned and I stiffened even further. I knew what was going to happen next.

Varian narrowed his eyes and opened his mouth. But before he could say anything and experience the pain of shocking I stopped him.

"Please don't." I whispered.

Varian's eyes went to mine and he studied me before closing his mouth.

"Interesting." The lab coat mused and went back to scribbling. However, before he could finish writing his sentence, something started to growl repeatedly.

It didn't sound like a human growl, but like a dog. Like the dogs they used to get the patients running when they didn't want to. Like the nasty teeth-baring dogs.

But there was no dog. There was me and a confused lab coat who looked a little excited and an angry Varian.

"Get out." Varian said through gritted teeth and I blinked as I realized his words were jumbled with a growl. The growling was coming from him.

The lab coat now looked thrilled and ecstatic. He didn't understand the danger, and neither did I.

I didn't feel afraid of Varian. I should be but I wasn't. Instead I wanted to hold him and comfort him.

"Get out." Varian growled again, this time his whole body trembling. Then the lab coat started furiously scribbling before Varian lunged at him and got his hands around his neck.

I watched in shock as he swiftly twisted it with a crack and they both fell to the ground.

Him

Everyone at the lab thought I was the head. They thought I was the leader and no one led me. But I was just a mere supervisor.

I waited nervously for someone to call me in. I wasn't at my lab, but the Base. This was where the real leader was, hiding behind all the supervisors like me.

"Lab Arcelia?" Someone called and I jerked up. That's right; my precious girl had a whole lab named after her. She was the most successful experiment by far.

I walked into the office and the first thing I noticed was the plaque labeled “Dimitri”. I just gulped slightly and remained calm. I was in the leader’s office right now and I could see him.

I’d never met him, but seeing him now, I knew the rumors were true. Dimitri was called ‘exotic’ among the scientists and it was not just for his looks, but his clothes too. He wasn’t wearing the usual lab coat with the white collared shirt and crisp black slacks. Instead he wore an exotic black shirt that might’ve once been called ordinary and a pair of denim jeans.

Usually when I saw someone with jeans, they were on the streets, pleading and begging for you to help them. But no one ever listened to them, especially me. I would help them by finding out how Arcelia didn’t take to pain like the rest of us did.

He looked calm and collected compared to everyone out there. They were all fidgeting like me, for a very good reason. He was known for his creative torture.

“Lab Arcelia.” He started, moving his chair back and forth casually like this wasn’t a nerve wrecking experience for me.

“Yes sir. She’s-”

“I know all about her. I’ve seen her file.” He said, waving a dismissive hand toward me and I stood straighter when I wanted to flinch.

“She’s remarkable. I applaud you for coming up with such a hybrid. She’s beyond beautiful too.” He complimented as he drummed his fingers on his wooden desk. It was odd seeing it because all the desks were made of steel now. There were no real trees anymore.

“You know I’ve recently heard you blemished her.” He remarked casually, glancing around the room before finally looking at me.

Shit.

I cleared my throat and fidgeted with my tie as the room got slightly stuffy. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I lied. It was badly attempted; I spoke too quickly.

“No?” He asked, his eyebrows raised in disbelief. “So my source is lying and I should dispose of him?” I couldn’t answer without stumbling over my words.

He leaned forward and narrowed his eyes just the slightest. “Lie to me again and I’ll give you something to be afraid of.” Then he proceeded to lean back and swirl his chair so he was looking out the big window that held a vast field of artificial grass. 

“I’ll ask one more time and only one. Is it true that you’ve blemished her?”

I didn’t answer for a minute before sighing. There was no point in trying to fight my case. Dimitri was known for having the most loyal and hidden sources. Not a single one of them would lie to him because he’d shown them what would happen if they did.

Dimitri was also known for torturing people in front of his sources. The main reason he did it was to test their emotions. If they puked and ran out, they were never seen again. But if they stayed with emotionless eyes they were accepted with open arms by Dimitri.

The other reason Dimitri tortured someone in front of his sources was so they would know what would happen to them if they lied to him.

“Yes, but-”

“I don’t want to hear your pathetic excuse.” He snapped and I jumped up.

“Gavin, please escort him to the interrogation rooms. I think I’ll have a little fun with this one before letting him go back.”

“You can’t! Who’s to watch over Arcelia or our newest experiment Varian?” I protested as the guard behind me grabbed me and locked me in a steel grip.

“Why I am of course.”