His Experiment

Pain.

Pain is the indescribable feeling that we all feel in at least one moment of our lives. It either breaks you or it keeps you going. We live with it or we keep it locked in the back of our mind, never wanting to repeat it.

Loss.

Loss is that aching feeling that makes us reach out for help automatically, but all you feel is the truth in the cold air. Loss is something that never fades and it makes you want to curl up into a tight ball and ignore the world around you.

Fear.

Fear is that feeling that everyone hates, because no one likes to admit ever experiencing it. It keeps you glancing behind your back and flinching when a hand rises, ready to strike. It's what prevents you from slacking or running away. It's that rim around your eyes, stained there from the previous years.

Encountering all three is devastating - you don't know who to trust or what to do. You are accustomed to keeping your head down at all times, and speaking lowly when asked a question. Screaming isn't an option no matter how much you crave to do it, and you never shove back. You just stand there and take it.

Now let's link these emotions to my life. You're an experiment. They call you 'it'. All of them do except Him. He calls you sweetheart. They prod and jab at you, oblivious to your flinches. Except Him. He rubs your back and tells you "just a little longer".

They make you run endlessly on a treadmill before throwing you back in your cage without a drink. Everyone except Him. He lets you take breaks and gives you plenty of water.

They've made you a freak, all of them, including Him. Most of it was His work.

You no longer have plain brown eyes. You have grey eyes that let you see more than you wish to see. You no longer have hair to fuss over, straighten and color. You have straight black hair that turns blood red in the sunlight. It is silky, never tangling. You no longer have a body without shape, neither fat nor skinny. You have curves that go the whole way and show when you walk.

Most of all, you're no longer human. You're an animal. You're a number and a few letters. You're an It.

You're nothing but an experiment.

His Experiment.