Pity

Chapter 15

 I trailed behind Experiment Varian, my feet aching each time they met the harsh, gray floor. I was sure they were damaged but I didn’t tell Experiment Varian for the fear he would be disappointed in me.

So I kept trailing behind him, uncomplaining.

We had been walking for a while. I had seen hours and hours of concrete, with crumbling buildings. The places we walked through must’ve been populated before judging by the enormous sizes of the various buildings. But now the cities were nothing but crumbling buildings, waiting to vanish. Along with the buildings we would pass by wastelands that held nothing but loose dirt. I imagine they once held something, but He’d never informed me about them.

I had even gotten to see the full sun go down and watch a splinter of the moon rise into the dark sky. I had also decided I like the dark sky much better than the gray, polluted one.

When it was dark, you couldn’t tell it was polluted. He had shown me a picture of the night, with little twinkles called stars, but he’d told me not to expect to see them. With the pollution, they were blocked from our viewing. But still, I found the dark sky more enchanting than the morning one.

Experiment Varian had asked me constantly if I was okay, if I needed to stop and rest, only to receive a short ‘No, thank you’ from me. But I’d been annoyed. If he didn’t need to stop, then why did I? He seemed to be doing just fine, not even hesitating once.

I wondered if his feet hurt as much as mine did.

Finally Experiment Varian stopped down another bricked hallway, which he had explained to me were called alleys. I’d also learned there were many of them, more than you I could count. I found that weird, seeing as they didn’t seem to hold anything. They seemed useless, except for when Experiment Varian and I stopped.

He sighed, resting against the wall, wiping his forehead, looking at his hand and frowning before his eyes flickered towards me. “We’ve been walking for more than 24 hours. You should be soaked in sweat.” He said and I tilted my head, not understanding.

“Sweat?” I asked and his eyes flickered before he closed his eyes.

“Yes, sweat. Wait a second.” He murmured, seemingly in thought before his eyes opened. “What about perspiration? Do you know what that is?”

I nodded, running my fingers along the gray floor. I loved the bumpy feel of it, the uneven messy way it was. I glanced at Experiment Varian again, seeing his gown covered in perspiration unlike mine which was still crisp and clean.

“I don’t…sweat.” I replied, testing out the word and deciding I didn’t like it. It sounded too informal, something that could get me in trouble if the lab coats caught the word slipping out of my mouth.

“Everyone sweats angel.” He pressed and I wrinkled my nose at the nickname.

“I don’t.” I said shortly and watched his eyes fill with something that had me bristling. It was pity.

That’s exactly how a lab coat would regard an experiment gone badly. They would look at them with pity before ending their life.

“Don’t look at me like that.” I said, looking down at the ground. I had spoken out towards him and that was bad enough. Looking up at him, challenging him, would make everything worse.

But I didn’t want his pity. There was nothing wrong with me. I was the normal one, not him. Experiment Varian was abnormal in every way possible. He’d come from here, from the ugly Outside, not the Lab. He’d fought every step of the way in the Lab, never listening quietly like you were supposed to.

“Ang-“

“My name is Arcelia 14786 to you, nothing more, nothing less.” I said calmly, still looking down and running my fingers along the floor. At first he was quiet and I was tempted to look up at him, to see his expression.

“Fine Arcelia. But you might want to get rid of the numbers, because around here it’s going to get you in trouble. Big trouble.” He said, his voice sprinkled with a touch of frost.

“Okay.” I replied, more out of habit than anything. I didn’t want to reply but He had said to make sure to respond when someone gave you advice.

I heard Experiment Varian sigh before he bent down and I felt his hand under my chin, guiding it up until my eyes were level with his blue ones.

“I’m sorry, okay?” He said softly, but I didn’t reply. I only stared back until he finally looked down, his eyes flickering.

“Why didn’t you say something? They’re bleeding.” He asked as he pulled his hand away, touching my foot and I winced. I hadn’t looked at them yet because I was afraid if I did that the pain would only worsen.

“We’ll get something to help with the pain in the morning. We’re only a few blocks away from the place I was telling you about. We’ll get up and go there when the sun’s up and get some clothes before we leave.” He explained and I nodded.

“That’s fine.” I added, giving him a verbal answer and he gave me a smile. “Let’s call it a day and go to sleep.” He proposed before moving away slightly and lying down. I watched him for a few seconds before lying down myself.

“Goodnight Arcelia.” He said softly. I waited for about five minutes before replying.

“Goodnight Varian.”