Prologue

Jeon Jungkook sat quietly on the bench and watched while his school soccer team, The Loyola High School Cubs, stretched for the upcoming game.

He had always had a passion for soccer.

He worshipped the sport.

After tremendous efforts, intense work outs, some blood and a lot of tears, he had finally made it into the school team.

But he was benched.

He was new and hadn't played in a proper match yet. He had just moved from Busan, South Korea to L. A. California, less than a year ago.

He was just 14, a freshman and small for his age. He was still growing, his mother would console him whenever he got upset. Having been raised in Busan, he lacked the kind of confidence that his teammates had. English was hard and so was the culture.

But Jungkook was nothing if not a fast learner.

Though he did play at his school in Busan, he had never had the kind of exposure like the schools in US could provide. The rest of the kids on the team had been training almost all of their lives. He'd had to learn most of it on his own. The matches back home were mostly on a very small scale in between teams of the same school. Unless you joined a club, which was  expensive and not something his parents could easily afford.

Here in the US, sports was a huge part of the high school curriculum. They actually took it seriously. The matches were inter-school and very exciting. He had been benched all season but that had given him the chance to observe his teammates as well as the rival teams.

This was a crucial game for The Cubs. A home game against the best high school soccer team in California.

Jungkook had been dying to see their rivals, the Falcons, in action. It was currently the best team on the charts.

A horn sounded in the distance and Jungkook watched as people started filtering into the stadium and shuffled into their seats on the bleachers.

It was a packed, full house tonight, he observed. The cheerleaders had already started their performances.

Jungkook wrung his hands nervously. They needed this win to enter the finals.

Another loud horn echoed through the stadium.

The commentators knocked on their mics.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the most awaited game of the season. Without further delay, We are proud to announce our Loyola High School... CUBS!!"

The crowd cheered.

The cheerleaders in blue took the centre of the field performing perfectly. They welcomed The Cubs on to the field with huge grins.

The captain of the cheerleading team led the soccer team captain to the centre of the field, where the referee stood waiting for them.

"Please welcome our captain, Henry Brighton" the announcer shouted amidst the applause and cheers.

Jungkook cheered loudly from his perch on the bench.

Another loud horn echoed through the stadium.

"And now, let me present to you, all the way from San Diego, being led by their youngest captain yet, The Torrey Pines' FALCONS!!" The commentator announced in a booming voice.

The Falcons jogged into the stadium in their black and gold jerseys. The cheerleaders danced around them.

The crowd went berserk.

The team had a lot of fans across the country. They had remained undefeated for the last two seasons. This season, they were on the top of the charts. Their captain was somewhat legendary, he'd heard.