Five

"where are we going?" Cathy asked the driver from the backseat. He ignored her so she turned to face the Viper seated right next to her. She raised an eyebrow. " Here, you will need this," He handed her two smartphones and a stack of business cards. The cards read De Luca estates and the contact details read 'Rosa Ricci'. " it already has all the contact details of the secretaries and receptionists of most of the people I work with. The other one is your personal cell, for your entertainment," he said. Catherine accepted the devices and opened her personal cell first. It was sleek and her favourite shade of red. The only pre-installed app was the messaging app, the only number in her contacts was saved as V. She dialled it and his phone began to vibrate. "call only in emergencies" he said. Cathy scoffed." I suppose this Rosa Ricci is me?" she asked. He ignored her. 'If you are going to keep me around you might as well get used to hearing me talk' she thought.

"and to your right is one of the last works of Vermeer, called The guitar player, " said the tour guide as he led the group of local and international tourists around the museum. The head curator welcomed them at the entrance. "ah Signor De Luca, Signorina Ricci, welcome" he said. Catherine nodded, that slight action made her aware of all the cuts in her back but she kept herself composed. " haha no need for formalities between us Lumier " said De Luca warmly.

Catherine spent the rest of the morning roaming around the museum aimlessly looking at paintings. Her instincts drew her body away from all the cameras and into the shadows. In her diary, she jotted down the security features guarding the paintings she had been instructed to inspect earlier on. As she approached the last painting, a familiar shadow fell upon the painting. 'Pete' she thought. Spinning her pen in a simple pattern using her left hand she let him know she was safe. Peter replied to her secret message by walking away from her. Without turning to face him, she listened carefully to his footsteps. 'up, click, right, followed by a light stomp as if he were shaking the dirt off his shoes'

Gather intel was the reply hidden in his footsteps. A feeling of relief washed over her, she didn't care what he had come to do in Italy she was happy to feel his presence. It was comforting enough to give her the courage and sense of direction she had desperately wanted. Catherine was almost skipping on her way back to Lumier's office. When she reached the corridor De Luca had already said his goodbyes. " I think I don't need to remind you that we are not here to play Nesta," he snarled in a low voice. " you have lunch with Mr Casterbridge in an hour and after that, you are free for the rest of the day, " Catherine replied flatly. "Call his secretary and confirm our arrival," he said. "I already have."

Catherine spent the day laughing and agreeing to ridiculous statements at the Casterbridge mansion. The madam of the manor and Catherine were seated in the garden while Mr Casterbridge and Viper spoke business in another room. The open gazebo had strawberries growing around it. She was offered tea from an antique cup. Catherine patiently listened to the Mrs go on and on about her shopping sprees and how good her husband was. Mrs Casterbridge was well poised and mannered.

She was most probably in her late 50s but had aged fairly well. " how long have you known my boss, I hope he is as good a businessman as your husband is?" Catherine carefully inquired. Mrs Casterbridge looked at her with a pitiful smile. " Oh, I was hoping against all odds that you would have recovered by now Nesta. You and signor Castillo are our closest friends. You have always been the children I never had." she replied.

" Recovered?" Catherine echoed. " The woman reached over the table and gently held Cathy by the hand. " signor Catsilo told us what happened to you a few years ago, the accident was terrible. We searched everywhere for you," she began to tear up, " I am just glad you are still alive and you have a new chance at life." A maid handed her a handkerchief and she took a few moments to compose herself. Castilo, could this be his true last name? If they are really close friends then this is a good start. Cathy rushed to her side and crouched gently patting her on the back. " It's okay, what matters is that I am alive and we can make new memories together. Please don't cry" she said her eyes also tearing up. Crying on cue was one of the skills she had mastered during her career. Acting wasn't exactly her strength but it got her in and out of most places she needed to be in.

The woman nodded in agreement and embraced Cathy. Catherine had no recollection of the woman at all but if she could get her what she needed then she would do whatever it takes to gather what she needed. "oh it looks like the men are done, " said the woman. Catherine looked back to see Mr Casterbridge leading Castillo there to the gazebo. " yes, it seems so. If ever you need company or just a friend please feel free to contact me. She placed her contact card in the woman's hand. the woman laughed. "you still going by the name Rosa? It's good to know you have changed a little " she said. Catherine smiled gently. 'the fuck is this hag talking about?' she thought.

She tried to ignore the tears in the old lady's eyes as she kept advising her . "remember, as long as you go about your business he won't have a problem with you", said Mrs Casterbridge reaching across the table to gently hold Cathy's hand in hers. " I know it's hard but you and Damian will adjust to this arrangement soon". Cathy couldn't contain her confusion, 'Damian?' she thought