Twenty Two

Nesta had never thought that her marriage to THE Alessandro Castillo would end in such a dramatic way. But as they say, everything happens for a reason. Their divorce was as clean as they come and was processed in almost no time. Having connections everywhere had its perks.Damian was set to be released four hours later that day, it was already thirty minutes past twelve in the AM. Yet, Nesta was scared. She was not anxious about Damian's release from prison. It was Sandro she was scared of, scared for. He was the type to fight his own flesh and blood if it meant protecting his business. Nesta found the thought of him being threatened by her father quite ridiculous. Her family was known, in their world, to be the biggest military arms dealers. None of her family members would dive into drug lords territories or even think of becoming one.

Sandro turned to face her , this would be the last time they shared a car or be seen in public together. His gaze was a bit warmer than usual. Sensing his eyes on her, Nesta faced him, "You are not as bad as they say you are," she began, " when it comes to your family so far, I have seen glimpses of your humanity. You are... a good brother." He hardened his expression, and clenched his jaw for a moment. He hated showing any emotions apart from anger, indifference and impatience. Realising he was showing any other emotion triggered memories he could not forget no matter how desperately he tried.

Flashes of his stern father staring down at him in disappointment when he broke down during his mother's funeral. Memories of being whipped with a thin flexible stick when he expressed how happy he was to have accomplished something. All those thoughts haunted him every time he tried to be 'emotional'. At times, he could still feel an irritating itch just below his calves when he got too exited.

"Sandro, what about Aurielle?" Nesta asked softly. She sensed his mood change earlier and did not want to upset him any further. However, Aurielle was raised by her as a child, recently she had slowly grown fond of the girl. " She was always with you anyway, you continue to raise her. As for the house," he paused exhaling deeply and releasing the tension in his jaw. "I would prefer If you could move out, you have no reason to be in home. The second house is in your name, you can go there if you do not want to move back to the Welsh Mansion."

Nesta kept her mouth shut. She wanted to know who had a hold on him. To know where the narcotics came from and why. She was curious but , her fear of Alessandro's temper made her conclude the best thing for her at that moment would be to keep silent and stay out of his way. In just a few months she had not only found the Viper but found out she was married to him. She had found herself again and who she truly was yet still, a decision needed to be made. What was she going to do with her life? The only thing she was sure about is that she wanted , needed to be with Damian but that was it. What now?

Would she continue working for the agency and be partners with Lynn and bring down the Castillo empire? Or would she be fully committed as a part of the Castillo empire? Perhaps she could join her family's business and help share her sister's burden? It was a difficult decision Nesta had been pushing back for far too long. Now that Aurielle would be fully under her care, she had to choose for her sake.

The Consapevolenzza looked much bigger when it was empty. Of course it was nothing compared to the Fortezza, Alessandro and Damian's main residence. The Castillo was left for them by their father who had also inherited it. Over the centuries it had been remodelled and refurnished a countless number of times. Nesta's house, The Consapevolenzza was gifted to her on her wedding day. It was another family tradition of the Castillo's. It was a short drive away from the main residence , about ten minutes away.They had only used the place to throw parties or hold conferences but now this is where she would have to spend her days. Sandro never mentioned anything about her leaving the company so she assumed she would still have to show up for work.

"Nesta this place is amazing!" Aurielle exclaimed as she ran down the staircase. Nesta smiled genlty, masking her worries. "it is. Say, why don't we explore the rest of the place tomorrow together? For now, Xael will help you get ready and settled into your new room." Aurielle nodded excitedly. Xael however, was not pleased, he had volunteered to work in the Consapevolenzza knowing full well he would hav to take care of Nesta and Aurielle. He didn't want to admit he came because he cared, instead he continued to pretend he was coaxed, forced into working for her.

" Miss Welsh, I have something to report before I tend to Aurielle. Mr Castillo jnr is set to arrive at the Fortezza any moment from now. He will not be staying with us here." Nesta nodded and gestured for him to take Aurielle to her room. Her heart sank a little but she somewhat felt relieved. 'maybe they will forgive each other when they get to have the place to themselves again' she thought .

As she sat in her dark room, she felt a familiar presence fill the place. "Why are you here?" She asked without even turning to face the silhouette that began walking in her direction emerging from behind her curtains. Shawn started talking, "hey, that isn't how you greet a friend". She sighed , " seemed you healed up just nicely. Why did you ghost after the whole cafe thing?"
He smirked, and slowly lowered himself , placing his hands in his pocket as he brought his face just inches away from hers. " Your ignorance is the only thing keeping you alive sweetie, it's also what will get you killed".