3||: 𝒔.𝒉.𝒊.𝒆.𝒍.𝒅.

may 2, 2012
━━━━━━━━━━━

One last fight.

One last fight.

One last fight.

That's the only thing that runs through her mind as she paces up and down the jet, arms crossed over her chest, her hand pinching her bottom lip.

The only other passenger watches her go up and down curiously, baby blue eyes shining in slight concern as the agent, Phil Coulson, walks over to him. His eyes quickly fly back to the tablet in his hands.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum they used on me?" He asks, eyes flickering up to the agent.

"A lot of people were," Phil answers. "You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

The man frowns, observing the raging green monster on the screen with a grimace. "Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much," says Phil, giving a shrug. "When he's not that thing, though, the guy's like a Stephen Hawking." The man fixes him with a blank look, and the agent quickly recovers. "He's like a...smart person," he answers.

The man nods, before his eyes slide curiously back to Irina, who continues non-stop in her nervous pacing, and repeated chants in her mind.

One last fight.

One last fight.

One last fight.

"Is she alright?" He asks Phil, whose admiring eyes slide from him to her, and he lifts his eyebrows.

"Oh, she should be fine," Phil answers in a slightly uncertain tone. "Fury is confident in her, so I am, too. You read her file yet?"

The man grimaces, blue eyes still trailing after her, watching. "It didn't have much to go off of," he says with a shrug. Still watching. Still curious.

Phil shrugs. "Fury says it's for her own comfort. She doesn't want her past to be...distributed so carelessly to others."

"There needs to be trust among us if we're going to stop this Loki," the man says with a frown. "Trust between soldiers is the base to any good army."

"She doesn't want to be a solider anymore, though, that's the thing," answers Phil, his eyes trailing her too, now. "She's done fighting."

The man furrows his eyebrows, before he sets the tablet down and stands up, making his way up to her. Irina continues to pace, now biting the fingernail to her thumb as she continues to worry and fret in her mind.

God, she should have said no. That way, she wouldn't have had to see Peter's face be so sad.

𓆩*𓆪

"You're leaving?" Peter whimpers at the news, brown doe eyes immediately watering.

Irina gives a grim smile to the boy, standing in the doorway to the Parker home. "I wish I didn't have to, Pete," she sighs, "but it's an important job. If I don't go...well, not good things will happen," she explains as she squats down to his height. Peter stares at her with a wobbling pout, and Irina grimaces, pushing his brown curls out of his face.

"Hey, I'll be back," she chuckles softly. "Just a few weeks, and then I can treat you to Delmar's, alright? As many greasy sandwiches as you want," promises Irina. She stretches out her pinky finger to him, wiggling it expectantly. "Pinky promise?"