4||; 𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒚

may 2, 2012
━━━━━━━━━━━

"You look nervous," Steve comments in the jet, watching Irina pace once again, this time with more worry than curiosity.

Irina cracks her knuckles, desperate for any distraction. "Really? Because I feel like I could fall asleep in a sun chair on the beach right now," she snarks, before stopping and letting out a sigh. "Sorry. Just a bit..."

"On edge?" Natasha helps from the co-pilot seat, keeping her eyes trained ahead as she pilots the jet to Germany, their destination to capture Loki.

"I was thinking jumpy, but let's go with that."

"Just remain calm," Steve advises. "It'll be fine, if it's just him. If you need to take a break, fall back. I'll be there to watch your sixth."

Irina stares at him with a curious look. "Wow," she breathes out, "you really are good at that," she notes.

Steve frowns, confused. "At what?"

"Making others feel safe and motivated. I don't feel motivated yet, but I'd give it like 58% more until —"

"You talk a lot more when you're riled up," Natasha notes from the front.

Irina sends her a small glare. "Want me to shut up?" She asks with raised eyebrows.

"No!" Steve jumps, reaching out a hand to her before deciding against it. "No, don't. Just focus on remaining calm," he advises her. "I find it helps when I count up to 100 from 1."

"Not down?"

"No, because then it feels like you're counting down to the battle. Count up, and you won't think that. It'll distract your mind from the main problem, too."

Irina purses her lips, giving Steve a nod. "Thanks," she says.

Steve offers her a smile. "Anytime."

"I'd advise you suit up if you're not already," shouts Natasha. "We're almost there."

Steve looks back at her expectantly, and Irina inhales deeply, before nodding and turning around, facing the stack of clothes before her.

It was time to get back into the game.

𓆩*𓆪

Irina watches at Steve jumps down from the open hanger door, using his shining shield to protect an elderly man from a blast from Loki's scepter. Her eyes narrow on the shining blue gem.

"You ready, Roberts?" Romanoff's voice speaks into her ear from the comm embedded into it.

Irina takes a pause, pursing her lips as she glances down at her uniform. The white unitard clung tightly to her form, with highlights of greyish-blue on the arms and legs. A utility belt looped around her hips, in its middle a black S.H.I.E.L.D. logo. Obviously, Fury wanted to remind her of who she was working for.

With a shaking breath, Irina nods. "Keep your eyes on us in case something goes wrong," she says, before jumping down, stretching out her hands and sucking in a deep, sharp breath.

Pull it out from the depths.

Tendrils of blue slither out from her fingertips, pulling into the base of her palm, building up.

And push it into the world.

She flexes her fingers just before she hits the ground, the energy pushing out and breaking her fall, cushioning it as she lands steadily on her two feet behind Loki, slowly rising as he turns to face at her, a smile breaking on his face.