5||; 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏

march 26, 2014
━━━━━━━━━━━

When Irina wakes up that morning, she doesn't smell Steve's delicious breakfast.

It wasn't too much a cause for concern. After all, sometimes he liked to run a bit longer some mornings, when his head needed more distracting than usual. She accepts that it's one of those mornings, and doesn't panic.

She trudges into the kitchen, finding it empty, the sun seeping in through the windows, casting a natural lighting throughout the entire house. Irina digs through the fridge, brewing herself a cup of coffee for the day. She pours in the sugar and cream, and sits at the small table in the kitchen.

It's been around two years since she'd started living in DC with Steve. Two Christmases, and they were now in the middle of their second spring spent living together. Time had flown by, and she was doing better than before. Having a roommate as good to you as Steve was helped.

As she takes another sip of her coffee, her phone buzzes in the pocket of her flannel pants.

Tony had given her the latest Stark Industries phone he'd built on the side. He'd personally made hers untraceable, yet still able to hold multiple contacts and act like a completely normal phone. She was grateful when he'd gotten Steve one, too, and he and her were finally able to text one another when the other was out.

She takes it out of the pocket, turning it on and registering the text from Steve's contact.

Steve:
Sudden SHIELD mission came up. I'll be coming back later than usual. Stay safe. I'm sorry about this. -SR

Irina grimaces. Fury had been putting him on more S.H.I.E.L.D. missions than when he'd first started taking on "favours" for Fury, but so early in the mornings now? She worried for Steve, but it wasn't like he slept, so he must not be too exhausted.

With a sigh, Irina begrudgingly finishes her coffee and rinses it out in the sink. She makes her way back to her bedroom to get dressed properly for the day, passing by the shelves filled with books they'd both collected the past two years together, along with a collection of vinyl records, music discs and more.

They'd really filled the apartment up, surrounding it with their love of learning more about the world they'd missed out on.

She discards her pyjamas in favour of bell bottoms and a low v-neck crop tied at the front with nice flared sleeves. In the bathroom, Irina washes her face and brushes her hair, hissing at a knot or two getting caught by the ends of her hair. She'd probably have to get a trim eventually.

Once she's brushed her teeth and freshened up, Irina takes her phone out again to reply to Steve.

Me:
Don't worry about it. I'll just starve myself till you come back. 🤧 Just come back with the milk, grandpa. <3

Once her reply is sent, Irina goes into another contact of hers. Specifically Tony's, who had sent her a text just a few minutes ago while she was getting dressed.

Tony:
Hypothetically, if you could have an Iron Man suit of any kind, would you? And what kind?

Hypothetically, of course.

Irina rolls her eyes softly, and her thumb taps out a short answer.

Me:
None. That's your schtick, nerd.

Tony:
Sometimes I think you forget you're a nerd, too, Nina. Don't make me remind you of your Iridium stunt again.