11||; 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒔

may 4, 2012
━━━━━━━━━━━

From the portal, a shadow emerges from the darkness of space, soaring down to them with a roar that makes her stomach churn uncomfortably. It looked like something from the old horror movies Ben and May showed her, except in real life; big and armoured and flying right over them, deploying Chitauri soldiers left and right.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve checks, not entirely believing the sight. Irina feels for him, really.

This...was the weirdest thing she's ever seen.

And that's having watched The Human Centipede.

"Seeing," Tony's voice says in her ear. "Still working on believing. Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?" Steve asks.

Irina's brows furrow slightly in confusion. What had happened to Banner? Last she'd heard, he had apparently Hulk'd out.

"Just keep me posted. J.A.R.V.I.S, find me a soft spot."

Irina glances up just as a group of Chitauri gliders came soaring towards them. She curses. "Get down!" She warns the others, just as fire is rained upon them.

Romanoff and Barton dive behind a few abandoned cabs, and Steve lifts his shield, grunting as he takes a few hits defending them, but he digs his heels into the ground and holds his ground. Irina sucks in a breath, curling her fingers, before she shoots out a blast of blue energy, much like Loki's scepter, and watches it destroy a glider, the Chitauri soldier flying off and somewhere to the ground with a cry.

When the fighters fly away, her and Steve run to the two S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, ducking behind the cab to catch their breath.

"We've got civilians still trapped up here," says Barton.

Another crew of Chitauri glide over them, one figure in glittering gold armour, making him stick out from the rest. She narrows her eyes on that figure, watching him wreck havoc down the street.

"Loki," Steve points out. He looks back at them, making eye contact with Irina, who grimaces. "They're fish in a barrel down there."

Blasts of blue are shot towards them, and Romanoff brings out two pistols, shooting at the Chitauri soldiers that had jumped down from their gliders and were stalking towards them. Barton hid behind the cab across from them, bow in hand as he looks over at them.

Romanoff looks at Steve. "We got this. It's good," she assures him. "Go."

Steve looks over at Barton. "You think you can hold them off?"

"Captain," Barton looks back at them, clicking a button on his bow as he smirks, "it would be my genuine pleasure." He reaches behind him, taking out an arrow and loading his bow with expertise, standing up and turning to the approaching soldiers. He releases the arrow with no hesitation, striking a Chitauri in the head, before multiple shots ring out, taking down various with one shot.

Irina's eyebrows climb to her hairline in surprise.

Rather impressive.

"See, now that's a Katniss Everdeen," she mutters, shaking her head. "Stark should know better."

"Roberts," Steve addresses her with haste. Her eyes quickly dart to him as he jerks his chin out to the street, gesturing, "you're with me."

"Of course, Captain," she nods, flashing Steve a soft grimace as they both rise and run out to the street.