8

"Morning Florence" Esme spoke, carrying books through the house. "Hello, Esme" she sighed, tucking her dark hair behind her ears. Esme placed the books down and groaned when someone banged on the door.

"We're not open" she shouted.

"I'm here to see Thomas Shelby" a woman responded. Esme opened the door. "I have an appointment"

"Come in"

May walked inside, looking at Florence. Esme rushed, standing in front of her. "May Carleton" she held out her hand. Florence laughed, looking away. "Mr Shelby has his proper meetings in his other office" Esme told her.

"This was the address he gave me" May said, lowering her hand. "He gave you this address?"

"He said it was a gambling den. I told him i'd always wanted to see one, since i'm always reading about them in the papers. Quite the big scandal in the telegraph lately. Anyway he said i could come have a look. And now i feel a bit of an idiot cause i'm early and he's late and i don't know how to behave-"

"In a gambling den?" Esme crossed her arms.

"I'll wait in the car"

"If i open the door again they'll all want to come in, they're like flies" she said, walking back and moving the books. "So what are you?"

"What am i?"

"To Thomas?"

"I'm going to train his racehorse, for Epsom" May said, looking about. "You know horses?" Esme asked. "Yes, you?"

Florence watched the two interact, staying quiet.

"Born riding. Slept in a manger when i was a baby"

"I was born riding too"

The door opened, John entering. "Fucking great Riley parked out there and nobody's watching it" he sighed, stopping when he saw May. "John, this woman said she's training Thomas' horse"

John stepped close to May, looking down. "He's told us a lot about you."

"You don't know where he is, do you?"

Tommy appears. "Sorry i'm late, there was a family matter, Esme keep it locked up for a minute"

"I'll show you around"

John walked away, flicking Florence on the head as he did. "John Shelby i swear to god" She hissed.

-

"I told him he definitely can't take the job" Polly said, putting in a pair of earrings. "What job?" Florence hummed, running her hands along her dress.

"He said all right i'll move to London then. I said i won't give in to blackmail, no is no."

Tommy stood, buttoning up his suit. "Michael's going to London?" Florence asked quietly. "Well that settles it then" Tommy sighed. "I'll give the job to the other candidate, much better qualified anyway,"

"Micheal did City and Guilds" Polly looked in the mirror. "Six months"

"Yeah but he doesn't know racing, Pol, he knows horses but he doesn't know racing"

"I know racing" Florence sat up straight. "Eh?" Tommy asked. "Racing, i know it, the legal and illegal side of it, you know, fixed races" She nodded.

Tommy looked at Polly, his mouth parted.

"How old are you, again?" he asked. "I'm almost fifteen"

Tommy wiped his mouth, handing Polly a drink. "How the fuck do you know racing?" he asked. "Tommy, language" Polly scolded.

"When me and Micheal were living with our..mother" she stuttered, "I mean-"

"We know what you mean" Tommy nodded.

"Well i've always went to the races with Micheal, that's how i know the legal side of it. Then once we came here, i've heard John talk about the books. I'm a fast learner, Thomas, i can put things together easily. And i know that you fix races, i think it's genius"

"What if Micheal really leaves?" Polly interrupted. "You just gotta let him go Pol, he will get a job in an office in London"

"If Micheal leaves, he'll end up taking me with him. That's what he's like, he won't leave me anywhere" Florence spoke. "He's always been like that, he likes making sure i'm okay"

"I'm sure he'll write to you," Thomas pulled on his jacket.

"He made a big speech about wanting to help you build up a respectable business, he's like his dad. He can make me cry" Polly whispered.

"There are trains to London" Tommy said. "So i just let him leave?" Polly asked.

"Every month or so he'd be back, unless he goes and meets a girl"

"Oh my christ" Florence shouted, slamming her hand on the table. "Michael's not going anywhere, and neither am i. If he was to leave, he'd be gone already. He doesn't wait"

Tommy looked down at the girl, frowning. "Well that's that then," he laughed, lighting a cigarette.

"I know him better than you all ever will, trust me" She scowled, tucking her hair behind her ears.

"Well what about this other more qualified candidate?" Polly questioned, standing up. "Well, i lied, there isn't one"

"How much are you paying?"

"The advertised rate"

"Like hell" She spat. "Three bob" He said. "Like hell" she repeated. "Three and six" he offered. "Four" Polly argued. "Four it is" he agreed, they shook hands.

"I love him Tom," she said as if Florence wasn't there. "I know, that's why i'll keep him away from the old business and put him in charge of the new, agreed?"

"Agreed"

"Right" Tommy sighed, "come on you" he said, helping the girl out of her seat. "Tommy" she said as he walked her out of the house. "Yes?" he asked. "I want to help too," she whispered.

"Your too young"

"No, Thomas" she stopped him. "I know more than you think," she told him. "Michael's good at maths and things, i'm good at the other types of things"

"Like what, eh?"

"I'm not afraid. Micheal is, he can be" Florence tugged on his sleeve as they walked to the Garrison. He squinted, confused. "I get feelings, Tommy, just like Polly, just like Curly"

"And when something happens and i get angry, nothing can stop me if i lash out" She looked down, avoiding his eyes.

"Polly would never let you" He shook his head. "Tommy, i can be good, i promise, just give me a chance"

"I'll think about it" he sighed, pushing the door to the pub open.

She wasn't lying. Between her and Micheal, despite her being younger, she was mentally stronger. Micheal had been sheltered his whole life. Florence not so much. During the war, she'd go out into the fields with her Fathers gun and shoot birds. She'd get them every time. And even Micheal knew that when the girl was put into a situation where people were relying on her, she'd make sure she got the job done.