36

"Is it him?" Tommy entered the large room where Arthur sat. "Yeah" he whispered.

Tommy swallowed hard, "on his own doorstep. She witnessed it Tom"

"Who?"

"Florence" Arthur shook his head. Tommys breath hitched and he walked toward the metal bed that John lay on. "Micheal could die too, that's going to fuck her head up more" he whispered.

"Right get out and you out" he pointed at the men either side of the table. They looked at the lifeless body of their brother.

Arthur knocked over a tray.

"Poor John..fucking gone" Arthur cried. "In the bleak midwinter" Tommy said. "We promised, Arthur"

"I can't"

"In Hull we promised,"

"I can't look at him, Tom"

"Come here brother" Tommy said. "Come here, come on, come here"

Arthur slowly walked over, looking down at John. "Now say it, Arthur" he said. "Say it brother"

"In the bleak midwinter"

Their heads turned to the door which swung open, Esme running through. "It's your fault" she shouted. "Your fucking fault" she sobbed. "Johns dead because of you" she pointed a finger at him. "Your cursed" she screamed, hitting his chest.

Arthur frowned at the state she was in.

"Look what you've done" she screamed, her voice cracking. "Come here, come here" he said, holding her tightly.

Loud sobs left her mouth as she collapsed into him. She looked over at Johns body and covered her mouth.

-

Florence sat in the betting den, tapping the table.

"John is dead" Tommy stated. "Fuck off" she whispered. "Esme's gone on the road with the Lee's, she's taken the kids. Micheal is badly wounded, they say it's 60/40 in his favour"

"There's no number, there's no percentage" Polly said, "so the hand, the hand beneath him stops him falling. I spoke to someone. My son will live"

"Micheal and John were shot because we killed someone's, Vincente Changretta, his son Luca has come to take revenge. Men from New York and Sicily have come to Birmingham and these men will not leave our city until our whole family is dead"

"That's how it works, an eye for an eye. It's called vendetta"

"Yeah well-" Arthur began. "Take your fucking vendetta somewhere else Tommy, at the end of the day this is your fault. Not mine, not Ada's and not Polly's so why the fuck should we be walking on eggshells over something that's got fuck all to do with us" Florence said. "I may have killed Angel Changretta, but it was Arthur who killed Vincente, you who caused the issue in the first place"

"The bullets been written, it says Luca, when the time comes, and it will come, he as the oldest brother will put this bullet into his fucking head" Arthur whispered, placing the bullet down.

"There's been some bad blood between us" Tommy said, Polly laughed. "Until this business is settled, we stay together"

Isiah and Jeremiah stayed quiet, looking at Florence as Tommy spoke.

"I sent a message, to Aberama Gold" Tommy nodded. "No, no Tom" Johnny dogs said. "I can get you 50 Lee boys, Good men Tom"

"I don't need good men, Johnny. For this, i need bad men"

"Tommy his people are fucking savages." Johnny said. "You know, heathens, Tom. They don't even let them in the fair. So they come and steal our horses. You know, stealing from their own, Tom"

"So this is the plan, Thomas?" Polly raised her voice. "Bullet with a name on it, help from a bunch of savages"

"We're gonna go on the offensive, i've spoken to Moss."

Polly scoffed at his words. "Moss?"

"I've spoken to Moss." He repeated. "Moss is putting out word, eyes, and ears so we can find them. Yeah the truth is the police are busy with revolution. Moss says they're expecting strikes and riots. When the weather gets warm and the Bolsheviks are planning to-"

"The Bolsheviks couldn't plan a fucking picnic, he's reading the wrong paper" Ada spoke.

"Ada" he stopped her. "Real or not real, the coppers don't give a fuck about us all right"

"Which means that here today in this room, we have to agree to end this war between us"

Polly glared at him.

"Take a vote"

"Peace" Arthur said. "I was never a part of this, but..peace" Ada nodded. "Peace" Lizzie agreed.

"Peace" Charlie said. "Peace" Finn said. "Shut up Finn" Arthur whispered. "Why can't i say peace?" he asked.

"Arthur, let him have his say, Finn sit at the table"

"My sons not here to speak, so i'll speak on the behalf of us both. Truce" Polly nodded. Linda grinned. "Florence?" Tommy asked.

"Peace" she said quietly.

"Six for peace, two for truce, one on abstention. Let's get on with the war"