23

"Is that okay?" Ada asked as she pinned a piece of the girls dark hair back. The girl glanced in the mirror, smiling. "It's great, thank you Ada" she thanked the older Shelby girl.

Florence was wearing a light blue silk dress that had silver jewels outlining the top of the dress. "You ready?" Micheal leaned against the door frame. Florence nodded, pulling her fur coat over her shoulder and adjusting the diamond necklace that sat on her chest.

-

"Look who it is" Arthur said loudly as Florence and Micheal joined them. "Hello Arthur" Florence greeted, accepting his embrace and laughing as he lifted her up off the floor. "Put me down"

"Where's Tommy?" she asked, looking around. "He went off with that priest" Finn said.

"Priest?" she asked. "Father Hughes"

Her heart dropped slightly and she looked at Micheal who had an identical expression on his face. She caught a look of Grace and excused herself.

"Grace" she said, placing a hand on her arm. "Florence, hi"

"You look gorgeous" Florence complimented. "Thank you" she smiled softly. "Is that Sapphire off Tommy?" Florence asked, admiring the large jewel. She nodded.

They stood in conversation for a few moments before a woman stood before them.

"Miss Shelby, i don't believe we have met before," she said, outstretching her hand to Florence. Florence didn't even attempt to correct her.

"I'm Duchess Tatiana Petrovna" she smiled. Florence nodded, shaking her hand. "Lovely to meet you"

The Duchess turned her head to Grace. "And you, Mrs Shelby" she smiled.

Both Grace and Tatiana stood speaking for a while before Grace saw Tommy. "Tommy" she stopped him. "This is Duchess Tatiana Petrovna" she introduced. He cleared his throat, looking at the woman he had already met.

"Come on Tommy aren't you impressed to meet a real duchess?" Grace asked. "Well i understand they charge a fee" he said coldly.

Florence's eyes widen. "Is that Isiah, oh it is, i'll leave you to it" She awkwardly excused her self.

"Mr Shelby you are very direct" she scoffed. "Too direct" Grace added. "But it's true" Tatiana said, "i attend these things for the champagne, and for the chance to be treated like a duchess again"

"You should have kissed my hand, Mr Shelby"

"Forgive me" He said after seconds of thinking. He kissed her hand and stood straight. "She was asking about my sapphire" Grace said. "I thought i recognised it" Tatiana nodded.

"She said it was Russian. My husband has business in Russia, perhaps you know about it, Tatiana?"

"Well tonight is not a night for business, eh?"

"Is that why you were in the concert hall for ten minutes?" Grace asked him. "I think people are ready for dinner now Grace" he urged. "No no i'm not done pumping my people for money" she joked.

"What is pump for money" Tatiana questioned. "It's what i do everyday" Thomas told her.

"You know each other, do you?" Grace looked between the two. "You see i am in charge of compiling the list of guests,  but it's my husband who knows them all"

"I hear he's very well connected" Tatiana nodded.

"And where does a duchess hear that?" Grace looked at Tommy. "In certain circles" Tatiana nodded. "All right, enough. Ada" he called to his sister.

"Grace, there's a Lady Dowager who wants to speak to you about coffee mornings. She mentioned a two thousand pound cash donation"

"Tatiana you and i will speak later" she dismissed herself.

"Going to the factory tomorrow is a mistake" Tommy said to the brunette woman. "Nevertheless we will go, Mr Shelby"

"Also my uncle ordered me to seduce you to give us an advantage but with with a beautiful wife like that it will be difficult, no?"

"Tomorrow is a mistake" he repeated. "Have you not heard, we have no morals, we Russians."

"And no fucking sense" he insulted.

"And no options" she added, "I would fuck you for the cause. What do you think of that" she said.

"I think you should not drink vodka with champagne" he began walking away.

"Does your wife know that the sapphire she is wearing has been cursed by a Gypsy?" Tatiana laughed. "What did you say?" Tommy asked, staring at her coldly.

"Nothing on earth, would make me wear it"

"Isiah Jesus" Florence said, causing the boy to turn, automatically smiling. "Florence" he said nervously. "Where have you been?" he asked her. "Working for Tommy" she whispered.

He nodded. A grin made its way to her face. "What?" he asked. "Drinks, next week" she squinted. "Depends where?"

"Well, at the Garrison, for me drinks are on the house, Tommys orders" she winked. He nodded, thinking. "I'll be there"

Tatiana walked away from him and Tommy thought for a moment, rushing to Grace. "Grace, listen to me. Look, i can explain" he started. "Go away" she cut him off.

"For once you shouldn't have to explain, Tommy"

A man spoke over the microphone but they took no notice. "You look beautiful but you need to take this off" He said, referring to the necklace.

"Why? Because you think it would look better on her?"

He grabbed her shoulders. "Grace. Look at me, fuck these people, eh? Fuck em, i need you to be all right. I need you Grace, i need you" he whispered. She placed a hand on his chest.

"Damn you Tommy Shelby" she laughed, kissing him.

"Shall we go inside?" she laughed. He nodded and placed a hand on her back.

A man barged past Polly, walking through John, Arthur and Florence. They watched as he pulled out a gun. "For Angel" he shouted. Micheal pulled Florence to the side. Tommys eyes widened and he placed a hand on Grace in attempt to pull her away. Arthur ran forward, tackling him. But just as he did, the gun fired, sending a bullet straight into Grace's chest.

"Oh my god" Florence said, pulling away from her brother and over to her cousin.

Time moved in slow motion for Thomas. Florence helped as Grace's legs grew week. She helped Tommy lay her on the floor. People rushed around. "Get me a fucking ambulance" he shouted, his hand covered in blood.

Grace held his arm. Florence looked over to where Arthur, John and Finn were beating the man who'd shot the gun. Arthur grabbed a glass vase and smashed it over the man's head.

Florence looked back at Tommy who held Grace close to him as she bled out.

"Move" she hissed at Finn, kneeling down and grabbing a piece of glass, pushing it into the man's neck.

The boys hands fell from her wrists, his face growing pale.

Florence shook her head, trying not to remember. "That's enough" John shouted, pulling her away. She dropped the glass, looking at her hands.

"What did i do, Tommy?"

Florence let out a frustrated breaths as she closed her eyes, shaking it from her head. "Isiah, get her cleaned up" John pointed at the boy.