76

"Okay, I see him coming out of the fog," Pat said. Micheal sat at the chair, finishing his drink and placing his cigarette in his mouth. They watched as Tommy walked into the room.

"How was the flight?"

"They say it's the future, i'm not so sure. Whiskey" he sat. "Hello, Micheal"

"Tommy" he nodded.

"Give me another" Tommy instructed, finishing his drink.

"We want you to take us to where the opium is being stored," Micheal said. "And then we will provide you with the bankers draft for the full amount" Connor spoke.

"Five million dollars" Tommy said. "Five million dollars" Micheal repeated, taking his hat and walking outside.

"I'll go with Tommy, you boys follow behind"

Tommy got to the car and Micheal felt about his pockets. "Shot, forgot me cigarettes" he said, walking back inside. Tommy got inside the car, closing the door.

Micheal hadn't forgot his cigarettes..

The men in the other car watched carefully from behind.

Micheal sat, taking his hat off and placing his gun on the table. Tommy looked down at his pocket watch, watching the seconds go down.

Michael's heart pounded.

Tommy sat patiently, looking at the steering wheel.

Micheal jumped as a loud bang sounded, smashing the windows of the pub. Glass shattered everywhere. He slowly lifted him head, breathing heavily. "Mum, it's done. It's over. May god forgive me"

Micheal looked over his shoulder, walking outside, freezing when he saw that Tommy's car was perfectly fine and the other one was up in flames.

Tommy got out the car, gun in hand. He pointed it. "Johnny, Johnny where are you?" he shouted.

Johnny Dogs walked round.

"I changed the ticker like you said, Tom. Tell me i've done a good thing here Tom."

Micheal looked between the two. "Goodbye Micheal"

"Goodbye Johnny, you're a good man."

"I'm gonna go look at the fog, Tom" Johnny nodded, walking off.

"Speak to me. Speak to me Micheal." Tommy said. "You killed her" Micheal said. "Polly made her own choices, Micheal"

"No. No one close to you makes a choice without your opinion Tom. Not Arthur, not me, not Ada, not Florence. We can't escape you. Your lethal hand is always on our shoulders. Thomas if you're going to kill me, you promise me one thing, let one good thing come from your actions..you let Florence go free, let her get away from all of this."

"Polly was half of me, still visits me in my dreams. She'll visit me no more" he said before sending a bullet into Michael's head. His body flew backwards, hitting the floor. "I have no limitations" he whispered.

-

Florence sat in her office, looking at the phone as it rang. "Hello," she asked.

"Florence, it's er..it's Johnny..Johnny dogs" he swallowed hard. "Is everything okay?" she asked. "Listen, Florence i don't know how to tell you this" he said.

"Johnny just spit it out, what's happened?" she asked, standing and stubbing out her cigarette.

"Today when Tom and Micheal met up in Miquelon. There was something with a bomb and-" he rambled. "Johnny" she warned.

"Tommy's killed Micheal. Florence i'm sorry"

Her heart dropped, her eyes automatically filled with tears. "What?" she asked.

"Shot him" He said. "I've convinced Tom not to send his body down the canal, for your sake, you can have a funeral or.."

Florence slammed the phone down, placing a hand on her chest as she struggled to breath. She looked up, biting her lip. "Mum?" she asked. "I know your there" she croaked, her eyes going blurry. Nothing.

Florence pushed everything off of the desk, a glass smashing as she fell to the floor, pulling at her hair. She shook her head, sobbing as she grabbed the table for support.

Never once had Florence felt such pain in her life, not even when Polly had died. It felt as though someone had took a knife and stuck it into her heart. She struggled to breath as tears soaked her face.

"Micheal," she whispered.

The door pushed open and Toby walked in."Mum?" he asked.

"Get out" she whispered. "Toby i said get out" she begged. The boy looked at his mother with wide eyes. "Go" She shouted. "Fucking get out"

He closed the door, running to the drawing room where Isiah sat.

"Dad" he said, pulling at his sleeve. "Dad" he begged for his attention. "Somethings up with mum, dad!"

Isiah looked down. "What?" he asked.

Isiah ran past the boy and up the stairs, freezing when he saw Florence sat on the floor, throwing things across the room, sobbing. "He's dead" she screamed. "Fucking gone"

Isiah held her arms, pulling her up. "My brother is fucking dead" she said, fighting against his grip. He overpowered her, holding her head.

"Tommy killed him," she said. Her eyes landed on the picture frame that sat on her desk of Micheal and Florence before they came to Birmingham. She pushed away from Isiah, throwing it at the wall, a scream leaving her mouth.

Isiah sucked in a breath. "Flo" he whispered. She shook her head.

"Family's fucking cursed. Micheal told me the second he found i was involved in all the business that i should get out. I should've fucking listened, Isiah. But now look, i'm fucking here, my mother is dead, my brother is dead" she covered her mouth. "Dead" she whispered.

She walked over to the picture she'd previously thrown to the wall, kneeling down and picking up the image from underneath the smashed glass.

A tear fell onto the paper. "One of us did get away though, eh?" she forced a pitiful laugh.