32

1 month later

Everyone danced around inside the Garrison, laughing as Isiah and Micheal lifted up Florence despite the fight she put up. "Eighteen today" Micheal shouted.

"Put me down" she laughed, gripping onto their shoulders.

Over the years she'd been in Small Heath, she'd developed feelings for Isiah, but they were both too stubborn to admit it. Until Isiah got too drunk, got into a fight and turned up outside the betting den, in need of help. It just so happened that it was Florence inside the den that night. And as you do when you're drunk, he spoke truthfully about how he felt.

And ever since that night they'd been going out with each other, sneaking around.

Tommy smiled, for the first time in a while, sipping his whiskey. "All right that's enough, you'll make her sick" Arthur chuckled, helping the girl down.

"Thank you, Arthur" she let out a breath. "Right, a toast" he shouted, lifting up his glass. "To Florence, the one i always needed" he said drunkenly.

His words were true, and meant a lot. Florence was the person Arthur always needed. All he ever wanted was for someone to be there, to understand him and help without making him feel like an idiot. And that's exactly what Florence was.

Everyone raised their glasses and cheered. Florence turned red and looked down

"Happy birthday" Isiah flung an arm around her shoulders, placing a kiss on her forehead. "Thank you" she smiled. Florence kept close to him as she watched Ada dance around with Polly.

Micheal stood in the corner beside Finn, talking.

Time had passed and Tommy approached the two, "Can i steal you from a moment?" he asked her. She looked up at Isiah and he nodded. Her and Tommy walked into the snug.

"Right, tonight is the only night i've been able to get you away from everyone"

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Somethings going to happen, Florence. People are going to get into a lot of trouble. But when that time comes, you will be one of the only ones who remain safe with a protected reputation" he said quietly. "I'm not following" she frowned.

"I can't tell you too much, Flo, but just trust me, ok? You'll know when the time comes, but you will be fine. Everyone will be fine"

He turned, opening the door.

"Tommy" she whispered. "Tommy what has happened?"

-
2 weeks later

Everyone sat in Tommy's office, waiting for him to speak.

"Before I begin, I want to let you know I made a mistake. I made a mistake, and I want to apologise to all of you. Arthur, you warned me against getting involved in Russian business, and you were right."

Arthur hummed.

"I doubted your wife, for that, I am sorry. Linda, I have added 3,000 here, in the hope you will forgive me."

Linda stood, taking the money. "Apology accepted"

"Esme, I doubted you as well.

"Now John has got innocent lives on his conscience. Ordinary working men..." she hissed.

"Yeah, alright Esme, got it" John stopped her. "No she's alright" Tommy said. "You and Arthur are gonna have to share that burden. But i hope the house that you can buy with this," he tossed money in front of John.