77

Florence walked, teary eyed toward the wagon. She let out a shaky breath, taking Toby and placing down a red rose. "Go on," she whispered and he walked back to Isiah. Florence walked up the steps, inside the wagon, placing a hand on the black casket.

"Hello, brother" she whispered. Shivers crawled up her body. "You're here, i know you are" she nodded. "We'll meet again, soon enough, Micheal, i promise." Her voice cracked.

Florence placed her fist to her mouth, looking at the pictures scattered around the inside of the wagon.

"Gina isn't here, just me, Isiah and Toby. Arthur came too, took a bit of convincing but he came, for me." She swallowed. "Till we meet again" Florence whispered, a stray tear falling before she walked out.

She nodded at Arthur who held the bottle of petrol.

"Mum," Toby spoke, "Uncle Micheal's gone to heaven though, hasn't he?" the boy asked. "Yeah..he's gone to heaven. With Aunt Pol and John"

She watched as the wagon went up in flames. Arthur joined her and she fell into his arms. He closed his eyes, leaning his chin on her head. "Everything will be fine, Florence. We will do it together, like we always have. You and me."

Florence bit her lip, watching as smoke filled the air.

Isiah's hand rested on Toby's shoulder.

"In another life" She whispered.

-

Everyone clapped as Tommy approached the table. "That's enough," he cleared his throat. "Thank you all for coming, we'll at least i can say that i am one of those rare politicians who actually makes good on his promises. Country estate," he pointed, "requisitioned to make way for houses for working people"

"I improved my own home with good intentions and 1,500 pound of dynamite. Now i'm back where we began, with horses and caravans. Vagabonds and thieves. Frances, sit down please"

He filled a glass of champagne. "I'd like to raise a toast, a simple toast" everyone stood. "To family"

"To family,"

"Sometimes, it is shelter from the storm. Sometimes it is the storm itself" he nodded. Charles looked at his father as he sat back down.

"Planning on going away for a bit. After i'm gone, Ada, in this family, it was you who was born to be a politician, not me, remember that. And if ever a seat is to become available in this ugly old city, you should run."

She chuckled softly.

"Where's Arthur, and Florence"

"He went for a walk down the river, said he's not good at farewells, so he decided to go catch a trout instead." Linda spoke.

"Florence is grieving. As you can imagine." Curly said.

He nodded.

"He told me to tell you that, "where you're going, Tommy, there will i be. Very soon, love Arthur" Linda said.

Ada frowned. "How does Arthur know where you're going, Tommy?" she asked.

"You watch him, Linda. You love him. Charles, i want you to look after your mum, you tell her i'm sorry, you hear me?"

"I want you to be the.." he stopped, turning around.

"Exactly how long are you going away for, Tommy?" Ada asked. He ignored her, walking around to Duke, Curly pulling him to a hug. He kneeled, whispering to Duke.