12

Polly paced outside the prison, waiting for the two of her children to be released. The day prior, Polly had made a deal with Inspector Campbell to get them out.

The door opened and Micheal walked out, looking down. He had cuts on his face. He got out a cigarette, lighting it. Polly watched in sadness as both her children stood. Micheal walked to her.

Florence's face was also cut up, but worse. She had a black eye and a busted lip.

"You need cream on those cuts or they'll get infected" She said to Micheal, touching his face. "The screws told us why we'd been freed" he said coldly.

Florence remained where she was, looking at the floor.

"They told me what you did" Polly looked away, teary eyed. "They thought it was funny. Maybe it is"

He walked toward the car, placing his arm around Florence's shoulder.

-

Florence walked into the betting den alone. Isiah and John looked over. "You're out?" Isiah asked. She swallowed hard, placing her coat on the hook.

She looked at them and Johns mouth dropped open. Florence blinked her tears away, grabbing the bottle of whiskey in the kitchen and pouring a glass.

"What happened, Florence?" John asked. She sighed. "Get me a cloth," she whispered.

John looked over the Isiah who left to get a cloth.

"Florence, what happened?"

Her breath was shaky. "They strip searched me John, three men watched." Her voice broke. "They humiliated me. They beat me, John, they laughed about it"

John's heart dropped. Tears welled in Florence's eyes. "Come here" he whispered, sitting on the chair beside her. "Come on, come her" he pulled her into a hug, rubbing her back. Isiah returned, freezing slightly but placing the wet cloth on the table.

John signed, pulling away. "Isiah, help clean up her face, i'm going to call Tommy"

Isiah nodded and sat in the seat he'd previously sat in. Florence sipped the whiskey. "Can i?" he asked. She nodded and he picked up the cloth, carefully wiping the cuts on her face. "I'm a kid, Isiah" she whispered. "I'm fourteen."

He listened as she spoke.

"And three grown men watched as i was strip searched. Grown fucking men" she hissed, shaking her head, letting it drop. Isiah cupped her cheek, lifting her face up and embracing her. She hesitantly placed her hands on his back.

The sixteen year old boy consoled her until John returned.

"Where's Polly?" he asked. "With Micheal" she whispered. "She doesn't know i've left,"

-

Florence sat beside the fire in the living room connected to the betting den. "Where is she?" Tommy stormed in, stopping when he saw her. He searched her face, sighing.

"Is Micheal okay?" she asked. "Florence, Michael's fine." he sighed. "It's you i'm more angry about."

"Did any of them lay a hand on you" he asked. She scoffed. "My face is bruised, Thomas, what do you think?" she asked. "No, Florence, i mean.."

She shook her head quickly.

"Good" he whispered. "I'll leave you be, Isiah and John are in the den," he nodded, walking off.

-

"She's a fucking kid, Tom" John argued, hitting his fist on the table. "She's fourteen, she didn't deserve for that to happen"

"I know, John"

"Tell me then, what are you going to do about it?" he asked. Thomas sighed. "I've already sent men down to the prison, they'll deal with it"

"Where's Polly, eh? Has she even came looking for Florence or is her attention all thrown toward Michael, again!?"

Tommy held his head, leaving the angry boy alone.

-

Thomas walked through the house the morning after. "Polly?" he shouted. "In here" she responded. He walked inside. Polly beside the window, Florence and Micheal sat together as they flicked through book.

"Can i borrow Florence, taking her on a drive, aren't i?" he asked the girl, expecting her to play along. "Er, yeah"

"If you must" Polly sighed. "I want her back before dark"

Tommy hummed in agreement and took Florence to the car. "What's this about?" she asked, sitting in the passenger seat.

He pulled a small gun from his trousers, placing it on the seat beside her. Her eyes widened. "I thought about what you said, and i'm willing to allow you in the business if we need you"

"Really?" She asked. He nodded. "You know how to shoot?" he asked.

"I do"

"Well then, i'll have someone take you down to the fields, see how good you are" he smiled at her excitement as they began driving.

"Where are we actually going"

"I'm taking you down to see Ada for the day, figured you'd like to meet her properly" he said. "And where will you be?"

"Doing Peaky Blinder stuff" he grinned. "Peaky Blinder" she nodded. "Now that you're practically one yourself, you can't tell Polly or Micheal. I'll tell John and Arthur" he told her.

She nodded.

"Michael's not speaking to mum" she looked out the window. "Says he's embarrassed of her, she slept with the inspector to get us out"

Tommy frowned at the information. "Well" he sighed.

"Tomorrow, you'll be at the Epsom races with us all, i'll send a car over and you'll be brought down to watery lane, where from there, we will set off"

"Is Micheal coming?"

"He deals with the legal stuff, remember?"