𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 | 𝙼𝚒𝚜𝚜 𝚖𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚢?

^^^

We sat in silence for a long time, staring at the floor and at Five as he slept. Less than 10 minutes later, I heard Luther snoring.

'I could use some sleep too.'

As soon as I closed my eyes, I fell asleep immediately. The semi-darkness in Diego's apartment and the tense atmosphere between me and Luther had an extremely soporific effect.

I have never remembered any of my dreams. When I woke up, all I ever saw was a black blur, heard no sounds or remembered any situations. I thought that since my powers are psychological, I would somehow be able to control or remember dreams in detail.

But that never happened. Until today.

^^^

I hear the click of heels on the pavement. It is dark, possibly night. The street lamps are flickering, casting very little light on the street. Still, I can see everything perfectly. The street is narrow, cars are parked on the side. They look like they're straight out of a 50's TV series. I recognize a few brands, but I don't care anymore.

My eye is drawn to a huge storefront, a neon sign advertising the best dresses in Dallas. The light inside is already off, but I see a girl inside. She is standing straight, facing me, wearing a knee-length red dress, her light blue purse hangs over her shoulder. The stranger looks me straight in the eye, her face focused and distrustful. Her lips, smeared with red lipstick, are pressed into a thin line.

Suddenly I see someone familiar in her. I've seen her a million times in the mirror.

It's me.

Or rather, an older version of me. I'm a little taller, more shapely. My hair is longer, styled in elegant curls that flow over my shoulders. I give myself no more than 17 years old. I smile at my reflection in the glass and continue walking into an unfamiliar alley.

I observe the surroundings, waiting for the action to develop.

I turn down a slightly less lit street, passing another neon sign of some nightclub. I see couples kissing in front of it, groups of friends surrounded by a smoke curtain, and a few single men looking me up and down. I ignore it all and run briskly into the alley. I don't turn around.

Maybe it was a mistake.

The alley is not the most pleasant. I want to turn around, but my legs won't obey me at all. It's as if I've lost control of them. I hear footsteps. Loud, rumbling, I feel like someone is trying to catch up with me. I look straight ahead. This can't end well.

I try to say something, shout anything. But I cannot open my mouth. Something blocks me from the inside.

"Wandering around alone in the middle of the night isn't a very good idea, baby."

I freeze and then stop. Not of my own free will, because if I had made the decision, I would have been gone a long time ago. I turn around and see the three men I passed outside the nightclub. One of them has his shirt fully unbuttoned, and I can see a champagne stain. The other two look less confident, but they are standing with their arms folded.

'Read their minds and find out what their intentions are!'

I hear a voice in my head, but somehow I can't act on it. I stare at them instead. I feel fear inside of me. I should have kicked their butts a long time ago, for even calling me "baby." But I don't and I don't know why.