𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚂𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 | 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎

^^^

"Who are they, Five?"

Concern showed on the boy's face.

Five woke up just an hour ago. Since then, he has managed to drink a whole bottle of water and confess his turbulent past. Or at least partially. He told us about the beginning of the apocalypse, about finding Delores in the ruins of the shop and about his long wandering.

I knew he had no choice but to answer Luther's question. There were too many people in the room at the moment, which meant more knowledge-hungry people.

I felt an instant relief. That means we'll find out everything today. All we need to save the world. Together, we'll definitely make it.

Was it really so difficult? Give vent to your emotions, answer all the questions asked and come to a solution together ... He could immediately let himself be helped. Meanwhile, there are four days left until the end of the world.

"They work for my former employer. A woman called The Handler. She sent them to stop me."

It turned out that the masked agents, Hazel, and Cha Cha, killed the detective who found Klaus. However, there was no trace of our brother in or around the motel.

I watched as Diego's face took on the same, focused expression. I heard him repeating the woman's nickname in his head to remember her, devising the most brutal way to kill her. Hazel and Cha Cha's masked faces also flashed through his mind. And then...

I stopped reading his mind. What he was preparing for them was... Brutal. I was wondering what connected Diego with this whole detective if he was ready for such sacrifices.

"Then, as soon as Diego's friend got in their way," Five, almost reading my mind, put the accent on the word "friend.", "well. Fair game."

"And now they're my fair game. And I'm gonna see to it they pay."

Diego's voice was dripping with ice and his gaze was cold and determined. I could have sworn that for a split second he considered seriously damaging Five. It frightened me.

"Diego, are you really—"

Five cut me off with a wave of his hand.

"That would be a mistake, Diego," Five muttered to the man, who was only a few steps from the exit door. "They've killed people far more dangerous than you."

"Yeah, we'll see about that."

Diego disappeared in the doorway. The room was silent for a moment, all I could hear was Five clearing his throat and his soft moans. He must have been suffering from a hangover caused by the alcohol he had drunk yesterday. I didn't feel sorry for him one bit.

On the contrary, I assumed that all these secrets should make his head hurt even more. Five's slight hangover was certainly nothing compared to the stress I was currently going through.

I glanced at Luther, trying to see if there was any negative emotion hidden in his gaze. Unfortunately, my power to read minds remained a mystery even to me. One moment I was easily penetrating the protective barrier of the human mind, and in a matter of seconds I was literally being thrown out. And after that, I wasn't strong enough to do it again.

I saw surprise, anger, and disappointment in my brother's eyes. I was sure that they were caused by me as well.

"Former employer?" I finally heard a man's voice. "What is this really about, Five? And don't give me any of this "It's not your business" crap, all right?"