𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 | 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚎𝚜𝚌𝚊𝚙𝚎

POV Five Hargreeves

I entered the operating room. I saw Luther and Grace, both of them at Allison's bedside. I stood in the doorway, letting them talk in peace. I started to stare intently at the bed where (Y/N) was lying. I calmed down as I watched her chest rise and fall.

She was alive, and that was the most important thing to me.

I stroked the fresh bandage on my stomach and crossed my arms over my chest, trying not to listen to what my brother and Mom were talking about. It was easy for me, because after a few seconds, Pogo entered the room.

We both stood in silence for a moment, staring at the floor.

I had no desire to start a conversation with him.

Contrary to my hopes, it was the chimpanzee who spoke first.

"Grace has already examined Miss (Y/N)."

I raised my eyebrows, trying to mask my sudden interest in what he had to say.

I cleared my throat and assumed a look of indifference.

"Will she survive?"

To my relief, Pogo nodded.

"She suffered a serious wound, but fortunately none of her organs were significantly damaged."

I sighed, still not looking him in the eye.

"So she should wake up soon," I muttered under my breath.

Pogo's silence made my heart flutter in my chest. I began to shift impatiently from one foot to the other.

"Right?" I urged him.

This time he cleared his throat. I forced myself to glance at him out of the corner of my eye.

He wasn't smiling.

"She lost a lot of blood," he began gently. "Even though the one given by Master Diego has somewhat regulated its level in Miss (Y/N)'s body, we are not sure whether she will wake up anytime soon."

"What the hell does that mean?"

He answered me with silence. I sighed, realizing what he was trying to tell me.

"Will it end in another coma?"

"We're not sure," Pogo said quickly. "With good winds, her body will start to regenerate itself. In the worst-case scenario—"

"I need a drink," I interrupted him, feeling my head start to spin.

Pogo nodded.

"Don't worry, dear boy," he placed his hand on my shoulder. "Grace and I will stay here and watch over both girls."

I remained silent, still staring at Eight. She was still pale.

I shook the chimp's hand off my shoulder.

"You're the last person I'd trust," I said coldly.

I heard Pogo sigh and out of the corner of my eye I saw his face show sadness.

Despite everything, I still pretended I didn't care.

I carefully assessed every inch of Eight's body for the last time.

"Tell Luther I'll be back in an hour."

I turned on my heel, intending to leave the room.

"She keeps saying your name."

I stopped mid-step. I glanced at him over my shoulder, my heart pounding in my chest and the sound of the impact echoing in my head.

I gasped.