Part 1

Destination: Remetinec prison, Zagreb, Croatia 

From: Kruno Matas 

To: Roko Jurcevic 

23rd December 

Dear Roko, I have been thinking a lot what would be the content of this letter. I tossed seven versions of it before sending this final one. I know that we never met, but I have been following your case from day one. Before all, I feel so sorry that you were condemned to 20 years in prison. Personally, I don't think you were capable of doing such a terrible thing to another person because I see it in your eyes - you are a wonderful human being. 

Sorry for not introducing myself to you immediately. My name is Kruno Matas, I am 27 years old and I am a dentist, I live in a small city of Sinj, Croatia. As I said, I have been following your case in the media. It stirred up a lot and the public was divided in opinions. Some of them were understanding of your acts, myself included. A lot of people thought that your friend Marin had it coming for ruining your marriage with your wife Silvija. I am also sorry to hear that she hasn't even payed you one visit in the prison or that she hasn't even brought your sons, Luka and Borna to see you. 

You must be wondering why someone like me would write a letter to a man who ended up in prison for murdering his best friend. Now comes the part of my letter that I was revising the most, because I didn't know if I should say this to you, or even how I should say it. But I decided to be completely honest with you. From the day I learned about your case in the media and saw your photo, I have been feeling strange. I couldn't describe you how exactly I am feeling, but it's for sure something beautiful, something too good to be true. I think I may be in love with you. Please don't think of me as a lunatic for saying this to you, especially since it's from a guy to a guy. I just wanted to be honest and also to show you my support. I am not sure how you are going to react to this, but I will stay optimistic and hope that you will send me a letter with your answer. 

Yours truly, Kruno Matas 

P. S. Also please accept the Christmas gift I sent to you with the letter. I chose it for you with all my heart.