Part 13

From: Kruno Matas 

To: Roko Jurcevic 

Destination: Remetinec prison, Zagreb, Croatia 

April 16th 

Dear Roko, 

Yesterday I spent the whole day stalking Silvija. I took some photos of your kids when she was taking them to the kindergarten. I also took some photos of her with that young waiter, her lover. Everything was going well, until she caught me pointing my camera on her. She approached me and asked who I was. Before I could even start talking, she realized I must be the guy you're writing letters to and your "boyfriend". She figured it all out, Roko. But more importantly, she told me a few things I am still shocked about. 

She told me you were a cocaine addict?! Is that true? Why didn't you tell me anything about it? 

Wait, I get it now. The cocaine I gave you, supposedly to settle your debts with some prisoners, was that for you? 

She told me something else, something that left me even more speechless. According to her, Marin and you were not only best friends, but also lovers?! How could you hide such a thing from me? 

She told me that's why you killed him. Because he was in love with her and not you. And you didn't want her to take him away from you. I don't know what to say, except that I am shocked. And a bit disappointed. I thought our relationship was pure, that we had no secrets. I really want to believe you and not her, but she sounded so convincing. 

I couldn't sleep the whole night because of it, so that's why I decided to write you this letter. I want to trust you so bad right now, but I can't. I don't even know how to finish this letter...