Part 21

Destination: Remetinec prison, Zagreb, Croatia 

From: Kruno Matas 

To: Roko Jurcevic 

June 22nd 

My dear love, 

it's all over now. Silvija died. I ran her over at full speed. She was dead within seconds, she didn't feel a thing. So don't worry, she didn't suffer. 

But no matter what you said, I would do it all over again. Despite you being the real killer, she is the one who caused all the trouble. If she weren't such a bad wife, you wouldn't have done anything. And your kids... They'll be better off without her. 

I am a little worried about their future, but it will certainly be better with her out of the picture. Your mother is a nice lady, I am sure she will take good care of them. And when we go out of prison, we will continue raising them. I will treat them as if they were of my own blood, because they are an essential part of you. 

Just please don't tell me you hate me now for doing this. I did it for you, for your sons. Your rejection would mean I did all that in vain, and my life would make no sense then. You are my husband now; my duty is to protect you and our family from all those who want to harm us. 

I am in custody now. My lawyer told me I could get as much as 40 years in prison for a first-degree murder. But since I turned myself in, it could be seen as a mitigating circumstance. To be honest, I really don't care how much they are going to give me, as long as I can be with you. Trust me, life outside without you was my real prison. And my obligation as a married person is to be with my husband. 

My mother just payed me a visit. She expressed her disappointment in me. Tell me what's new there? But she also said how afraid she was now that I will be a well-known gay man in prison. I told her I am not afraid of anything, as long as you're with me. She then hugged me and wouldn't let go of me. If there's one reason I might be sorry for killing Silvija, it would be because of my mom's reaction. 

Anyways... My trial is starting in a few days. I can't wait for it to be over, so I can finally be with you. 

See you soon, my love. 

Kruno