Part 23

From: Kruno Matas 

To: Roko Jurcevic 

Destination: Remetinec prison, Zagreb, Croatia 

October 28th 

My dear love, 

My trial has just finished. I've been given 25 years of prison for an attempted first-degree murder.

My family was there, in the first row, as well as half of the people from my town. Literally the whole courtroom was filled with people waiting for my conviction so they can laugh at my misery. But they are such fools if they think my misery is about to commence now. It's the opposite. My misery will end once I'll have joined you. 

After my conviction, they allowed my family to visit me. I didn't expect them to be supportive of me, especially not my dad or my brother. But they were. They said I could count on them for whatever I may need.Although my mom couldn't stop crying. She was cursing the day I met you. Because she thinks you made me attack Silvija. Even though you didn't have nothing to do with it. And I tried to explain her that. 

I told all three what it was like for me to grow up in such a conservative town like Sinj where people despise all those who are even slightly different. I told them how miserable I was. And that my real prison was having to live in such an environment. 

Mom is worried about how I am going to be treated in prison as a gay man. But I told her you got everything under control and that the other prisoners respect you.Also present during my trial was Silvija. She testified about the events on the day I ran her over. I couldn't tell if I am sorry for almost killing her.On the one hand, I avenged you and got what I wanted, to be with you in prison. But on the other hand, she didn't deserve to live. 

Anyways, what had to happen happened.They are transferring me to Remetinec one of these days. Please talk to Slavko; tell him to put us together in the same cell. Ohhh, I still can't believe I'll be seeing you every day and waking up next to you.I finally feel like I'll be able to get my life together and be happy. I hope you feel the same, my dear husband. 

See you soon! 

Kruno 

LETTERS TO MY BELOVED PRISONEROn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara