Chapter Fifty: Flashdance

Memory

Rosalinda's POV

My palms were sweaty and I swear that nothing in the world was more itchy than the outfit I had on. Nicky tried to give me a reassuring smile but I didn't think I could be reassured.

Was I really doing this?

I was wearing a dress, if it could even be called that. It was short, itchy, sparkly, and I felt utterly ridiculous.

Under it, I had a sparkly bra, a nude bra, and some shiny panties, lacy of course.

Jesus above, I was doing this. This felt too real to be a dream.

Perhaps it was a nightmare.

Nicky had taken me into the club all month, trying to instill the basic moves I'd need while trying in vain to make me a little more comfortable around this place.

Although I knew that many of the people who worked here were not the dirty ideals we grow up with, I was still uncomfortable.

But Nicky was here to hold my hand, on the first day at least.

"Try to relax, will you? This is hardly the end of the world" she shook her head, peeking around the curtain.

Vicky was next to her, filing her nails. They worked as a set and, as I've seen before, they were scarily in sync. They danced together as if they had been made two bodies of one soul. It was uncanny and I didn't like it, to say the least.

How can one thoroughly rotten person like Vicky be so connected with such a great person like Nicky? It made no sense to me.

I tried taking deep breaths, smelling the pungent order of smoke and alcohol. I didn't choke on it. I was used to it by now.

So I supposed Nicky was successful.

In some ways at least.

"That's us" Nicky sighed as their names were called. She gave me another smile and a kiss on the cheek, a very light brush due to the lipstick, for whatever comfort that could bring.

And she and Nicky walked off, already falling in step with each other with identical smiles. Beautiful as a dream.

And I was supposed to go right after them. Jesus help me.

 *****

The city was beautiful at night. I could write poetry about how gorgeous I think it is, how it all looks at night, bright and lit up, alive even in the late hours.

But it was also dangerous and not the ideal place for me to be alone. I wasn't trying to get killed here.

I only wanted to go back home. And shower.

I needed at least one of those.

I don't know if it was my complete lack of confidence or my self-image but being stared at by horny men made me feel insecure and dirty. I faked my way through it, finding a certain fluidity to my movements that surprised me. But I still felt the stare of all those men.

Even as I walked, I felt eyes on me the entire way. I kept looking behind me, paranoid and jumpy though there was never anything there.

Was it stupid, not bringing my car? Yes, it was. No question about it. But the club wasn't terribly far and I wasn't walking on backstreets and alleys. I was keeping to the sidewalks where a fair amount of people still walked.