Chapter Twenty-Five: Hopeful Shards Of Glass

Dedicated to my newest fan, CaraWeyHey. You are awesome ;)

*****

“Why didn't you just go to the police?” I asked my mother.

Her eyes went murderous again.

“I don't have any solid evidence. Besides, most of the local police would rather shoot themselves then arrest Walter. As I've said, he isn't someone to be messed with. I don't know if you actually help me with my troubles but I was hoping you could. You were always an annoyingly smart child. That's why I want you. If there's any way this can be done, I'm sure you're the person who can do it. Can you help me?” she asked. I rubbed my head and sighed. This was messy. But truthfully, it wasn't wildly different from some of the cases I took on. The only reason I was hesitating was because she was my mother and my mother was an accomplished actress and manipulator.

How did I know any of this was true? How did I know that this dead child was hers? Or that Walter was responsible?

I hated the man and wished him the most painful death imaginable but if there wasn't evidence to be found, there would be a very small probability of finding something that linked him satisfactorily to the crime.

“Give me a day or so to decide. I'm not even sure it's legal since we're related” I told her finally. I couldn't be hasty here. I had to think about what I was getting into and whether I wanted to be coated in my mother's problems again.

“You heartless bitch” she whispered, genuine disbelief in her eyes, “This man almost raped you and he killed my daughter! How dare you even hesitate?!” she stood up, outright yelling.

I stood too, my patience gone, my headache agonizing.

“I have to think about getting involved in the nuclear disaster that you call your life! I'm not heartless, I feel like the slimiest person on Earth for even thinking of denying you justice but how do I even know you're telling the truth? All of this is a little out of the realm of things I find believable and you are known for being a manipulator without a conscience. How do I know that you don't have some other motive? Besides, here you are telling me that your daughter died, was raped and killed by Walter, and you haven't shown any damn emotion. What kind of mother doesn't show emotion at losing their child like that?!” I yelled right back.

For a minute, I honestly thought she would hit me. Her eyes looked like a rattle snake's right before it strikes. She drew back from my desk slowly, walking around it to me, standing a small distance away. I refused to shrink away and I stood tall.

We were the same height now. I remember looking up to her when I was little and thinking that she was larger than life, a real life goddess. Now she was suddenly mortal to me

It was a dizzying revelation.

She looked me up and down in disgust.

“You call me when you decide to regain some of that intelligence you inherited from your father. Until then” her eyes speared me through one last time, seeing me straight to my soul and ripping it apart. She didn't hesitate another moment before spitting at my feet and walking out the door with her head held high.

I collapsed in my seat.

Fuck my life.

I had to take the rest of the day off. This was too much. I dragged myself back up and figured I'd go visit Sam. I promised I would and it was near lunch time. He must be hungry.

*****

I sat outside my old house, extremely reluctant to go inside. Should I really be doing this? Sticking around after the relationship has ended is like keeping sour milk in the fridge. It just isn't right or practical. There's no reason to do it.