Chapter Nineteen: Unexpected Ace Up My Sleeve

DEDICATED TO scarletdeveaux. Please read the paragraph right under this.

So, a little birdy told me that I didn't spend nearly enough time on Sam and Rose. And because I felt so bad for putting the birdy down, I'm dedicating this to her. Sorry, if that's any consolation and I hope you actually read this. I didn't mean to snap at you but things are really hard over here in my neck of the woods and I took it out on you. So, I'm sorry. And, as a bonus, this is in Sam's POV and you'll find something out that is very important.

*****

Sam's POV

“What?” I stared blankly at my doctor, not really able to believe what he was telling me.

“You've got a condition called 'short term memory loss'. It isn't that uncommon” the doctor barely spared me a look before he was flipping through papers.

Short term memory loss?

“What is it?” I asked him. He rubbed his chin.

“It's a disease that progresses. First, you can't remember the littlest things. Than those things aren't so little anymore. Soon, you find yourself without being able to find your nose” the doctor chuckled while I looked at him in horror. Was I going to lose my mind?

His humor died down when he realized that I wasn't finding it nearly as funny as he did. He cleared his throat and looked back to the papers in his hands, studying them intently.

“It was just a joke. Cases like yours rarely progress that far. We've caught it somewhat late but it's still treatable. You'll be fine but I would recommend putting every important date on a calendar somewhere and putting alarms for all important time. I'm reading here that you're on anti-depressants?” the doctor asked, as if he hadn't known.

“Yeah” I said for the hell of it.

“I recommend you at least take a lesser dose. I definitely don't want you to take such a strong dose anymore, it's probably why you've got short term memory loss in the first place. If you've got someone to keep an eye on you, I'd say that you need to stop taking them; at least until your treatment is through” the doctor regarded me over the lenses of his reading glasses. I squirmed. Rosie wouldn't have thought twice before taking care of me but she wasn't here anymore.

“I don't have anyone” I told the doctor, forcing the words out. They were literally the hardest things I've had to say.

I couldn't believe it but it hurt to admit that I was such a monster that my saint of a wife had lost all patience with me. But this doctor didn't need to know that.

His pitying gaze was more than I could take.

“My wife has gone to visit her sister in Florida, okay? It's not like I'm completely alone” I lied. I really couldn't stand this man's pity.

“Well, I suggest you call her and tell her to come back. Until then, I'm going to prescribe some more mild anti-depressants” he told me, taking out his prescription pad as he talked.

I waited with ill patience. I had every intention of calling my wife. This little separation of ours has gone on long enough. It's time I pulled a dirty tactic to get her back and I had the perfect ace up my sleeve.

Rosie's POV

I was depressed. Working on domestic violence cases really ticked me off. I couldn't stand a man who strikes a woman. But things were complicated with this one and I hated it. My head wasn't so big that I only took the fluffy cases (As I called them) so I had to deal with some really disturbing things. Including murder.

I needed a drink.

“Are in a good place to stop? I was thinking about going out for dinner” Dean knocked lightly on the door to my office. Or well, the room he said I could have as an office. I was still protesting the use of this room.