Chapter Thirty-Three: Unexpected Valentine

Memory

Dean's POV

I didn't know what to think. I was at school, having detached myself from Rose only moments before but now, I think I was doubting my relationship with her. Don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic that she agreed to be mine. But now I'm thinking that she may not be the prize I had thought she was.

She was pretty but she never tried to enhance her features by putting on a little makeup or dressing in nicer clothes. In fact, she spent most of her time dressed very simply. I didn't even know that her clothes bothered me until right now.

Until I had told Ricky that she was now my girlfriend. Understandably, he was beyond shocked. He hadn't even known that I knew who she was, let alone that I liked her.

He pointed out that, very obviously, she was not at all my type of girl. I usually went after girls like Shannon with occasional exceptions. I liked girls who chased after me, who tried desperately to impress me and please me.

Damn, that sounded shallow. But it was true.

So why was Rose the chink in my armor? Why did I even want to be with her? I've never gone so long without sex since puberty and it was all because of her.

Why did I like her so much? Why did the thought of dumping her hurt so much?

Why did I care?

Ricky had filled me with doubts.

My feelings were a mystery that I intended to uncover with Ricky at my side. I didn't consider many people friends but Ricky was easily my best friend. There wasn't another guy out there like him.

So I was confident he would help me find the solution to a problem I didn't even know I had.

“I think it's because of that natural, Spanish beauty she's got going on. Once you hit that, you should be good to go. It'll probably be best to dump her right afterwards” he told me, reclining on the bench we were both sitting on.

“I don't know dude. I think that she's one of those girls that you can't get enough of” I told him, thinking about how innocent she was, how beautiful, how badly she turned me on by doing the simplest things. I didn't think that screwing her only once would do the trick.

Ricky frowned at me, at the smitten tone of voice I used.

“Dude, are you okay? You aren't acting like yourself” he told me seriously, sitting up to get a better look at me. I smiled at him and he looked even more concerned.

“Maybe I just found the girl that can tame me. Maybe that's why she's so different from the other girls” I told him, my smile turning goofy with the thought of her tying me down.

“Okay, there's something seriously wrong with you” Ricky said, deadly serious. I rolled my eyes, pushing him away from me.

“There's nothing wrong with me and there's nothing wrong with her. I like her no matter what and you have to stop doubting that” I told him. My turn to recline and look all relaxed.

“What do you mean there's nothing wrong with her? Have you seen her! What isn't wrong with her?” he shook me by the shoulders as if to get some sense into me.

Why was he acting like this? There was a certain crazed look in his eyes that I didn't like. Maybe he was really just concerned about me and he wasn't trying to be such a jerk.

“Look, she doesn't dress like other girls. Doesn't care what she looks like and doesn't try to impress anybody. Wearing makeup is foreign to her and she doesn't own a single pair of high heels” Ricky listed. I was starting to get annoyed but I went along with it. I kinda wanted to see where he was going with this.