Chapter Twenty-Four: You Again!

I walked into my office, beyond worn out. I just wanted to go home and take a nap. I mean, I had just been told that all the work I did on that case was for nothing! Stupid Patrick was going to take it! I hated him already and I didn't even know him.

Isn't it funny? I just got to work and I made a new enemy and threw out months of work. Talk about bad days...

Come to think about it, when did I start to refer to Dean's home as my own?

That was something to think about.

Anyway, Mr. Jones told me that my new super important client was in my office. How typical. I wasn't even given a choice on whether to take on the case or not. He just expected me to do it. This was the first time I wasn't given a choice and I hated it.

My heels click-clacked their way to my office, my mind a million miles away, stuck on trying to figure out exactly why Mr. Jones had named it so high priority.

I just couldn't figure it out. This was highly improper, never done before. Who just hands off a case like this? I was so ready to face the lions on Betty's behalf (the woman who's case I had been working). This Patrick guy didn't know what I did. He wasn't prepared like I was.

So why was I switching?

I took a deep breath and opened my door, expecting to see someone extraordinary with their problems written on their forehead.

Well, I did see someone extraordinary, someone I had never thought I'd see again. Her eyes regarded me coldly and I found out, through my dazed shock, why Mr. Jones demanded I take her case.

She was still unbelievably beautiful. No mere model could compare to her splendor. I just couldn't believe it.

I ran away from her years ago. So what was she doing here?

“Hello” her voice was raspy from the shit she smoked. The sweep of her calculating eyes was enough to snap me out of my daze. I never thought I'd be looking into those dark eyes again.

“What are you doing here?” I demanded out loud, walking in and closing my heavy door. It was meant to keep all sound inside the room and it did it's job.

No one would know what went on here.

“Is that any way to talk to your mother?” she snorted, settling herself comfortably in the chair she sat on like the most regal queen.

“You most certainly are not my mother” I hissed, walking to my chair like a condemned woman. If nothing else, I had to know why she bothered to look me up. This wasn't like her and I had to find out why, despite how much I despised her.

“Do you need me to dig up your birth certificate as proof?”

“It couldn't hurt” I sighed, finally seated in front of the woman who had given birth to me, who had hurt me so badly, who had given me countless scars, and who I never thought I'd see again. Especially not like this.

I gave her a sweep with my eyes. She was wearing skin tight jeans and a yellow shirt that hardly hid anything at all. Yes, I could see what Mr. Jones had found so appealing about her case. As much as it disgusted me, at least I had unveiled one mystery.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“I need a lawyer” she said casually. I narrowed my eyes at her, not having the patience to deal with her today. Or ever, really.

“Yes, I gathered that. Why do you need one and why me? How did you even know that I was a lawyer? I haven't seen you since I was a kid”

As I watched, my mother flushed a light pink and I openly marveled at the sight. The woman never blushed.