Chapter Sixteen: Didn't See It Coming

You guys know this is a memory. This is the last part of the four part mini series!

*****

Dinner consisted of spaghetti and meatballs. My favorite. It was like God had finally thrown some of his favor my way. I ate until I was full, which didn't take much. My stomach was used to only having air for dinner and had shrunk into itself to seem less empty.

Crystal's dad had been glad for the company, coaxing me to talk about myself. He hadn't known that Crystal had a best friend. Instead of making me insecure, I knew we were best friends and nothing would rattle the belief, it made me think about their relationship.

He chided her for never telling him anything about her life. I wondered at this. Crystal's dad seemed rather plain and unassuming but there was nothing that would prompt her to ignore him so completely. She hadn't said one thing to him during dinner.

I would give near anything to have my dad regularly in my life. He seemed like a good man and he couldn't possibly be a worst parent than my mother so I didn't understand how Crystal could look like she hated her father. To me, it was impossible.

But it wasn't my place to tell her to appreciate what she has. Perhaps they simply didn't get along. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. In fact, some kind of wacky situation right out of a cheesy movie could be the thing to make them reconnect. I hoped so.

When it came time to leave, I almost wanted to discard the plan and just ask him to let me stay. Instead, I pretended that a random horn honking outside was my mother to pick me up. I thanked God for that driver. It kept me from making some other excuse. Thankfully, he hadn't asked to meet her. I walked right out of their house and snuck into the backyard as soon as the footsteps faded from the door. The climb to Crystal's room wasn't that bad. Her room was on the second floor but their house was rather small so the second floor wasn't as high up as it would be in other, normal houses.

Crystal had left her window open, as agreed. I tried to be as quiet as possible while climbing in. I was stuck in the open window for the longest time, struggling to get inside. My middle hurt by the time I was finally able to get free. When I finally landed, I made a loud thump and instantly, I froze. I had visions of Crystal's dad barging in and kicking me out.

Thankfully, no one came in and I started to relax, putting my bag on the floor.

I looked around in curiosity. Crystal's room wasn't at all how I expected. She was so sunny and hopeful that I expected paintings she made when she was three of the sun or pink walls and teddy bears. But no stuffed animal dared to show itself in this room. The carpet was white, pristine and not the least bit dirty. I felt like taking off my shoes but that wouldn't help me get the carpet any less dirty. My feet were disgusting. The furniture was all polished wood. A mirror hung in front of the bed, surprisingly small but big enough for me to see myself. The walls were painted a dark blue, the closet was open to reveal carefully put away clothes. The space where I would be sleeping was more than big enough. I was so tiny, there was room to spare. But still, not one toy rested underneath, not one item of dirty clothing littered the floor. I was puzzled.

I had expected a room showing the innocence that Crystal surely had. Instead, I found a room that a grown woman would favor, not showing any hint of the innocence that Crystal should have.

I was still facing the bed when the door opened. Instantly, I sprung into motion, kicking up a defensive stance.

But the only person in the doorway was Crystal. She looked at me blankly, not showing a hint of any emotion. I felt myself blush and I righted myself.

“Come on. Let's prepare to get you into the shower. You'll feel a lot better” Crystal told me, walking to her closet. It was huge compared to her small frame. She wasn't that much bigger than me and I wondered how it felt to live in such a huge, empty room.