Chapter 4

Chapter 4

My cheek still stings.

"The alpha's waiting for your arrival," An omega says as she walks into the room twenty minutes later. "The ceremony's going to begin soon and people are waiting. How long is it going to take for you?"

I want to run, far away from here and I want to take my mother with me. But how can I? She's dying. Her last days are quickening. The vampire venom has consumed most of her blood. It's only days, or maybe even hours. I don't know.

"Just a minute." I wipe the tears off my cheek and ran my tongue through my lips. It feels like I can taste blood in my mouth even when there's none.

The omega closes the door on her way out. I give myself another minute before leaving the room. The dress is heavy, at least a few pounds and I've to carry it myself. Killing the sobs in my throat, I step down the stairs and into the big ballroom where the wedding's being held.

I can hear everyone in the distance, chattering and laughing as I walk into a lifetime of misery.

The alpha has been married twice, I came to his last wedding with my mother and it was a beautiful one. His wife passed away a few years later, her death unknown. But after what the alpha did to me, I began to suspect the reasons for his wife's death.

Silence spreads in the crowd as I walk in. My sight's blackened with fear. I see nothing but my doom standing ahead, waiting for me.

There aren't many people in the ballroom, just a few—less than a hundred. I never imagined to get married like this, I never thought I would.

My body turns colder as I walk across the aisle, alone. I feel like I'm a dream and I'm going to snap awake anytime soon. But what if I'm not? My fingers tighten around the dress as my thought rushes. One thing spreads a smile over my face—when I think of my mother.

Maybe we both can run from here once she's fine.

I let out a sigh and wrap my hand around the alpha's before going onto the stage. But what if I can't escape? He's an alpha after all. He can do anything to me, maybe even kill me like I suspected he killed his other wives.

When the minister starts talking, I don't hear him. It's all a blur. My breaths race and my head begins to weaken, almost as if I'm going to pass out on the stage.

"—do you take him as your husband?" The minister asks me, for the second time after I don't respond to him.

It takes me another minute.

I'm sorry, Mama.

"Yes." I choke out, my voice breaking.

I don't look at the alpha, not even for a minute as I take him as my husband and he takes me as his wife. The minister continues, I hear nothing, but the howls from a distance.

It's not cheer.

It's something else.

The alpha places his hand on the back of my head, stiffly holding my neck before he lowers his mouth near mine. Before he can kiss me, we hear something.

"Code red! There's an attack from the pack. The wolves are from the north, Alpha." A man rushes inside the ballroom, screaming at the top of his lungs and disturbing the entire ceremony.

The alpha's hands drop away from me and he furthers back at the revelation. Chaos spreads quickly and engulfs the ballroom. People rise from their seats and began rushing out. My eyes widen as it all unfolds in front of me.