Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Each time I wake up, it gets worse and I doze off again. It's an endless cycle. My body aches and even breathing becomes a struggle. The next time my eyes open, the sun isn't hitting the walls of the tower. Instead, I find myself in a dark room with barely any light.

As my eyes adjust to the dimness of the room, I realize I'm no longer in the tower. Confusion creeps into my mind and it's a struggle to remember how I ended up here. The air feels different, less trapped and suffocating. The sheets are warm, and soft to the touch and there's a hint of fragrant lavender in the room.

"You're awake," Estella smiles at me as I turn around to see her. "That's a good thing. You really need to eat something."

"What happened?" I ask her, sounding a bit confused.

"You're sick, dear. Your fever is getting better but—"

"No," I shake my head. "Why am I here? In this room?" I clarify while looking around.

She nears me and places a bowl of warm soup on the table near the bed. My stomach grumbles but I can't think of food now.

"Zade brought you here."

"Oh," My eyes roll back. "So, he finally decides to show concern after putting me in this position. Where is he?" I question, my voice straining. I hate being sick, it truly brings the worst out of me, but this time, I'm glad it does.

Estella moves back and stands still. "He's outside. He didn't want to disturb your rest. But I can ask him to come see you if that's what you want."

"No," I quickly snap, shaking my head. That's the last thing I want—or maybe not. "I'm perfectly fine like this and I don't want to see him."

She nods, "As you wish."

I sit up straight and grab the bowl of soup. "I need some more medicines. Do you have something stronger?" I ask before taking the first sip of the soup she has prepared for me.

It's warm and delicious, perfect for my painful throat.

"I've only these medicines here. They usually work, but when they don't, a little bit of vampire's blood goes a long way." She finishes, a smile stretching over her face as she winks at me.

I draw the spoon away from my mouth and glance up at her. "You drank his blood?" I question, out of complete curiosity.

"Well, it's not often for me to get sick, but when I do, I've to heal as soon as I can or this house turns into shambles. His blood has healing properties. It takes away all of the pain and heals you within a few minutes."

I stare at Estella in disbelief. Zade's blood? I understand drinking a vampire's blood if it has bitten you but to drink one's blood just to heal is surely something. It's unsettling but it's also smart. After all, who wants to be sick?

I consider her words for a moment, the allure of it all.

"Can—would he give it to me?"

Her expression turns blank at my question. "I'm not—I could ask him." She blinks thrice and I notice it.

"Why did you hesitate?"

Her eyes dart away for a brief moment before meeting mine again. She moves to the side, closer to the door that's on the left of the room. "I'll go get him and you should finish your soup. It's going to make you feel better."

Before I can say anything, she's already gone, out of the room, disappeared. My suspicions raise. There's something terribly wrong here and I didn't notice it until now. Secrets. I can feel a bundle of secrets hidden inside this house.

The lines over my forehead deepen as I set the soup back on the table. An insatiable curiosity grips me. I want to know everything suddenly, everything.

My eyes scan the room. It's a lot smaller than the room in the tower, but it's more cozy here. The windows are big, showing the night sky outside. I don't even recall when I had moved here. Was I even conscious?

The heavy silence breaks with the sound of heavy steps approaching the room. I quickly sit up straight, my back pressed stiffly against the headboard as I wait for him, my mate. There's something about his presence that makes my heart pound in my chest. Maybe it's my wolf, or maybe it's just the mate bond.

The door creaks open, revealing Zade standing in the doorway.

"I was waiting for you'd call me, when you'd need me," He smirks while walking inside the room and closing the door behind. "Although I must admit, I expected it to come at a more different time, like the evening of the full moon. But it seems you couldn't resist seeking me out sooner."

My lips line straight. Estella isn't with him, and she also didn't tell him what I wanted.

"You're delusional." I scoff, my eyes following him across the room.

He closes the door behind and nears me. "How are you feeling now, my dear Aurora?"

"You made me sick," I glare at him and let my frustration take charge. "You made me run for hours in the freezing cold. It's no wonder I ended up sick."

He stands a few inches away from me, his hands are fastened behind his back and his eyes are narrowed on me. Even from the distance, I can see the grin on his face. "You're a werewolf. You should've been trained to run in the cold for days, unless you had skipped your trainings. After all, you did get married to your alpha so I suppose that takes."

My chest rises and drops while I stifle back my coughs.

"Heal me." I turn my head around, staring at the new wall in front of me as those weak words escape my lips. I don't want to take favors from this man, but I surely don't want to remain sick for a moment longer.

"What?" He acts dumbfounded.

No wonder.

"Give me your blood," I say, meeting his gaze. "And I'll heal quicker."

He scoffs, his jaw tensing. "No."

"What?"

"I'm not giving you my blood—"

I raise up, eyes wide. My patience wears thin and rage seeps into my voice. "I'm your mate and I'm sick. Would you rather see me in pain than giving me your blood so I could heal quicker?" I snap at him, my voice growing louder.

I didn't expect him to deny me. At all.

"I cannot give you my blood. You'll be fine in a matter of a few days and quicker if you rest—"

"Why wouldn't you just me your blood? You give Estella your blood when she gets sick, don't you?" I cock a brow at him and raise my hand in the air.

He stares at me for a silent moment and I try to read his face but there's barely anything on there except for—gloom. He doesn't respond.

"You call me your mate, but you won't offer me the simplest act of care and compassion. What kind of mate are you?"

His expression remains the same, unmoved by my words. "You're on your own. I'll have Estella bring in your medicines. If there's something you need, you can tell her while you get better."

My jaw clenches as he begins moving toward the door. Heat rushes through me. It's like a wave of anger, fueling my words as they escape my lips. "Is that it? You're just going to let me suffer?"

He pauses at the door, his hand resting on the handle. "You're exaggerating the situation. You'll be fine with some rest and medication. You don't need my blood and you're not getting it, even if you're dying."

My frustration reaches its peak. "Exaggerating? You have a fat fucking inflated ego and lack of empathy!"

🤔 What's Zade hiding!??

Also, this is a enemies to lovers book so you'll be seeing a lot of 🔪 🙉 ☠️

Read up to 60 chapters on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions