Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Let's go, mate. You've wasted enough of my time and anymore in this rotting house, I might be cutting my immortality short to just get out of here." I hear my mate outside the room and I hear his heavy footsteps across the quiet house.

My fingers quickly work on the buttons of the shirt as I finally manage to change. I don't want to leave here. Even when I've agreed with my mate. What if I simply don't go? The question has crossed my mind several times in the past few minutes I've spent alone in my bedroom, changing from the wedding dress onto something more comfortable and less bloody.

What can he even do?

Kill me.

I doubt.

I step downstairs and found his large shadow in the hallway. I don't know how I am still sane after everything that has happened tonight, from my wedding to Alpha Gabriel lying and to his severed head falling onto my lap by my own fated mate.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting since you're, apparently, ripping me away from my family. And my mother's sick, so if you don't mind keeping your voice down before she hears a male in this house, which she hasn't in years." I snap at him when I reach down.

I shouldn't be scared of him. Of anyone but my mate.

His figure towers in the dimly lit hallway, the sharp angles of his face casting shadows against the wall. There's surely something about him that terrifies me. It's not him but the half-breed vampire he is. I've only heard stories about a hybrid, and now, I'm doomed to one.

"Not at all," He retorts with a raised brow, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I've been quite enjoying the charming ambiance of this house. So much so, I might just consider staying."

My lips line straight into a frown as I reach down.

"I want to say my goodbyes to my mother—"

Before I can finish, he cuts me off and grabs my arm. "I think you've done enough of that already. I can hear her breathing and I suppose that's far more than enough for you to go on with."

I rip my hand away from him. "What if I don't leave with you? There's no way you can take your blood back, can you?" I ask, unsure of what his response is going to be, but I still want to know whether he has the power to undo what has been done, or whether his presence here is threatening enough for me to leave my mother alone.

His smile sharpens and he steps forward, closing the distance between us. "You're right, I can't take my blood back but I surely can bite you and your mother, resulting in her returning in the same condition she was just a few minutes ago, and you dying along with her."

I swallow hard at his cold threat as his words sink in. It's not a bluff. I know it isn't. His eyes are steady, and monstrous, holding a certain darkness that could only belong to a creature like him.

"What if I need a few days—"

Before I finish, he cuts me off. "The threat remains."

"I need to pack—"

"Matter of fact, you don't really need anything," He strides to the main door of the house and stops before opening it. I see the night behind him and it's cold, just as his eyes are. "Come on, mate. You've wasted enough of my time already. Any more and I might just consider forcing you."

"You already are." I whisper under my breath and still expect him to hear.

My head turns around, glancing at the door where my mother's sleeping behind. There's no choice here. There's no one else here who can protect me. Alpha Gabriel is dead, not that I expected him to do anything. Until there's a new alpha appointed for the pack, no one can protect me from leaving with my mate and I'm left with no choice but to leave with him.

He has a right over me and that destroys me. But it's the reality I must face.

My heart clenches at the thought. My life, my choices, are no longer my own. I'm bound to him, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part. A cruel, twisted version of vows humans make, only, in my case, death might not be the end if he's an immortal.

A mate, in the werewolf world, has a full claim over the other one.

If Alpha Gabriel were to be alive, my mate couldn't have claimed me as I would've been married to someone else. He knew that and he surely destroyed that obstacle before it even came to pass.

I follow him out, the cold air wrapping around me. The quiet of the night surrounds the area. It's oddly quiet considering the fact that my mate and his pack had attacked us just a while earlier.

"Shift." His voice breaks the silence.

I turn around and furrow my brows. "What?"

"Shift," he repeats while closing the door behind him. "We're not going to walk there. You need to shift and follow me."

"For how long?"

"A few hours."

My lips parted with surprise. "I can't go on for that long."

"You can," his voice hints of firmness as if he knows me well. But I know I can't. "There's no other way out of here. So, you better start shifting." He continues, patiently waiting by the front lawn of my house.

I stare at him with doubt. The thought of shifting, running for hours in my wolf form, is daunting. My energy is depleted, my muscles worn from the events of the night and I surely can't go on for hours. There's no other choice. My mate is stern about forcing me to run for hours.

Taking a deep breath, I reach for the buttons of my shirt and began unbuttoning them, preparing myself for the transformation. As each button gives way, my heart beats faster in fear of leaving here, leaving my mother. As much as I want to go back inside the house, I can't.

My mate shifts his gaze away from me as I began removing my clothes. Now he becomes a saint. I strip off the remaining layers of clothing, standing there in nothing but my undergarments.

From the attack earlier, there's no one in the streets or the roads.

I take a final glance at the house where my mother lies. If nothing, at least she's going to be alive and healthy. That alone brings me comfort nothing else can.

The agony of the shift is temporary and when I release my wolf, I find her in a better state than I expected. She's in glee, filled with energy and life. And it's all because I've found my mate.

Read up to chapter 50 on Patreon or Inkitt. www.patreon.com/miakerr www.inkitt.com/miakerr