Chapter 38

Chapter 38

"You're going to have a great time. Don't worry about it," Estella says to me while locking in the black heart necklace around my neck. "It suits you so well, doesn't it?" She asks me while stepping back.

I glance into the mirror and touch the black heart that's heavy above my fingers. The chain is made of a black thread that sits well on my fair skin.

"I don't know if it does." I murmur, my fingers tracing the edges of the heart.

Estella gives me a sympathetic smile. "You're just not used to it yet. Give it some time and you'll love it."

My eyes shift from the necklace and onto Estella. Something claws at my insides and the question that's itching on the tip of my tongue finally slips out, "Is this—was it someone else's?"

She looks at me through the mirror, her eyes dark eyes studying my face. There's a moment of silence before she breaks into a small chuckle while shaking her head.

"Who do you suppose, Aurora?" She asks with a hint of amusement in her voice. "This was made for you and only you. No one else."

I can't help but think it could be someone else's.

"So it's new?" I want to be sure.

"Of course, it's new," Estella replies, her gaze softening at my instant curiosity. "Just like the things you've here. It's yours, yours alone."

With that, she turns towards the door, signaling that it's time to go. I pull my fingers away from the necklace and turn to leave with her.

It was a surprise when Zade offered me to come with him to visit the town. I'm not sure if he's trying to make amends or he's merely trying controlling me. First the phone call and now this. I don't know what to think of it. It has been weeks and not once he had taken me to the town—not once I had been there myself too.

What is he trying to do now?

When I reach down, he's already there, waiting for me near the car. Estella leaves me outside and hurries back in before she can catch a cold. I blow out a breath and walk down the few steps before reaching him.

As he opens the car door for me, I pause, looking at him. "You've been chivalrous. All day. Why?"

His eyes narrow at me. "Why do you think I always have to have an ulterior motive? Maybe I feel guilty, or maybe I don't. Just get in the car."

Brushing past him, I slide into the seat and avoid looking at him again. It's a different car this time. The interior is red, more modern than the last one I had crashed. When he sits, it's close, so close that I can smell the scent of his wolf.

Before I know it, we're on the road, going downhill into the land of living. The house fades behind me and I heave in a deep breath when it's almost gone.

We reach the town quicker than I anticipate. The outlines of the buildings begin to grow clearer as we drive further into town. I see people, many of them, on the roads and in the cars. I didn't know how much being alone in that house was affecting me, because it surely is.

Even when it's a frosty night, the town is lightened and bustling with laughter and avidity.

We enter the winter festival and my gaze falls over the ice rink. The feel of wearing those boots and sliding over the ice washes over me.

Skaters weave in and out, their laughter echoing in the cold air as a festive music plays softly in the background. I watch them, my heart yearning for the thrill of skating, but I remember I'm not a child anymore. It was a lifetime ago when I was last on an ice rink.