Seven

Tessa

I'm not as immune to pain as I'd originally thought.

I must have just been in some kind of frenzy before I went to sleep last night, because my hands hurt like a bitch right now.

It's only been about twenty minutes since I woke up, and I'm clenching my teeth so hard I might break them.

Pain killers aren't helping. I've already taken more than I should have and when the nurse saw I wasn't gonna stop, she took them away from me.

Why'd I have to go and hurt myself like some psychotic idiot?

I belong in a mental ward, for fucks sake.

Tyler walks in my hospital room with a bag a chips, and I smile, happy for the distraction.

I almost go to grab a chip, but the second I so much as lift my hand up, I stop, hissing at the pain.

Tyler smiles sadly and feeds me a chip, sitting down on one of the seats near my bed.

"How ya feeling, Tee?" He asks, glancing at my hands ever so subtly.

He thinks he needs to pretend last night never happened to make me feel better, but it's useless.

Last night did happen. My hands and the severe pain in them are proof of that.

"Like shit. I thought pain killers were meant to get rid of the pain." I slap my head on the bed-table my arms are resting on, groaning.

Tyler laughs, trying to lighten the mood. But it's only getting darker and darker the more I think about yesterday.

Why did I think for even a second that dad would hurt me? That he was anything like Viper?

Nobodies like Viper. Nobody.

"Well, you're being discharged today, so there's that. And don't even worry, I'll feed you icecream and we'll watch every Disney movie ever." Tyler smiles, nodding.

"We'll start with Tangled." He half groans half laughs just as Hugh and dad walk in, looking less happy than I need them to.

What now?

"Hey, Tyler, why don't you go get something for Tessa to eat quickly while we have a chat?" Dad asks, not looking at me.

Did I do something wrong? Well, apart from the whole dropping glass, hurting myself, worrying everyone thing.

Am I in trouble? Or am I just paranoid?

Please let me be paranoid.

Tyler nods and skips out, probably only hearing the word 'eat' out of dad's whole request.

Hugh takes Ty's seat and dad sits next to me on the bed, sighing his forever infamous sigh.

"I think we need to talk about it now. About what happened yesterday, Tessa. Was this-," he points to my hands, "really an accident? If there's something wrong, something going on up there," he rubs my forehead gently, ever-so softly, "I need to know. So that I can help my precious girl. I don't know what's happened to you in the last four years, but you're not alone anymore. You're with your family now, and we care for you so, so much."