Twenty-three

Mikhail

Two hours ago

"No, I've already gone through all of that," I say, and then point to Carl's laptop screen. "Look through this footage here."

"Dad! I don't know how to download this!" Payton yells from his seat at the counter.

"I'll help!" Arianna says, walking over to him. I sigh and look back at my own screen.

"Here," Hugh says, and then hands me a cup of coffee. "Don't stress so much. We'll find it."

I give him a small smile. "I know. Thanks, Hugh."

He nods and goes back to his own laptop.

I want to believe what he says, I do. But we've spent the entire day going through file after file and watching video after video, and we still have nothing.

We've got the approximate time, we've got the right train, we've even seen Killian and Tyler get on and sit down on it, but we can't find Tessa.

My sweet baby girl. Where are you?

"Mikhail, I think we've got it," Arianna says, and I'm by her and Payton's side in a second.

Everyone joins us and we watch the five minutes of black and white, blurry footage with so much intensity between us.

We watch as our sister and daughter runs onto the train and takes her seat. We watch her keep her eyes trained on the door, and relax with relief when it closes.

We watch her look out of the window in thought and then get up, leaving her bag at her seat.

We watch her stop near Tyler and Killians table, and we watch them hug each other to the floor, shaking and sobbing in each other's arms.

"Which station is that? Go back," I say. Despite the pain and happiness in my heart after seeing their reunion, I stay focused.

We still know almost nothing. It's a start, but it's a small one. For all we know, this could've been the second train she caught to get home. Or the third. Or even the fourth.

The possibilities are endless.

But, from the way she was staring at the train doors with so much intensity and fear, maybe that was the first train she caught.

Maybe we've already found the city or town she ran away from.

I can only hope we're that much closer to finding the bastards who hurt my girl.

Payton rewinds the footage and zooms in on the name of the station through the window of the train.

He writes down the letters he can make out and fills in the blanks as soon as he does.

All my children are bloody smart. And I can say that with complete confidence.

"What now?" Hugh asks, staring down at the name Payton wrote like the rest of us.

"We'll figure it out. This is a good start. A small one, sure, but it's a start," Carl says, nodding.

I go back to my laptop and start researching the train station, getting as much information on it and the town it's in as I can.

Arianna comes over and pats me on the back. "We're getting somewhere, Mikhail. Don't look so sombre."

"We still know nothing. It's not enough." I keep my focus on my laptop.

She smiles and leans her head on my shoulder. "Yes, but it's something. We're now closer to finding those bastards then we were before."

I sigh and nod, smiling tiredly. "You're right. Now get back work. I'm not paying you for nothing."