Twelve

Tessa

Today's a big day.

For the first time in years, I'm going out with a friend. A real, proper friend that I made on my own!

And it's not Killian, either. Although, him, Tyler and Hugh will be there to keep dad from worrying too much, but still.

As soon as the doorbell rings, I practically trip over myself trying to get to the door.

I haven't even chosen an outfit yet, why's she so early?

I open the door and the second I do, Hazel embraces me in a tight hug.

I laugh and hug her back. "Hello," I say, and open the door wider to let her in once she's let me go. "I still need to get dressed. I'll only be a minute."

"Oh, my gosh, can I help you pick an outfit? Please, please!" She practically screams, and I nod with a smile.

Hazel is very... enthusiastic. But it works, since I don't really like talking about myself and she has plenty to say. I love listening to her tell me all about the daily gossip and drama.

It's really refreshing after all this time. Even before Viper, I didn't really have any friends apart from Killian. And he's a boy, so I've never had any girl friends.

I lead her upstairs into my room and she squeals when she sees it.

"Oh my gosh, it's so pink! I just love pink. It's the best colour, hands down. What a cute room!" I blush and walk into my closet.

"Well, it hasn't changed since I was twelve, thats why it's so kiddy. Um, all my clothes are in here."

She looks through clothing after clothing and eventually she gives me some denim shorts, a blue t-shirt, and some white shoes.

I go into the bathroom to get changed, which thankfully she doesn't question, and after she obsesses over how good I look, and I've said goodbye to dad and anyone else who was nearby, we hop in the car where Killian, Tyler and Hugh are waiting.

"Finally," Tyler says, turning to look at us from the front seat. "How long does it take to get dressed?"

I stick my tongue out at him and start chatting with Hazel on the way to the amusement park we're going to.

It's an hour and a bit away, but luckily Hugh was willing to drive us there.

I'm so excited it almost hurts. I've never been to one, but according to my brother's, they're awesome.

Well, most of my brothers. Carl and dad weren't as thrilled about amusement parks.

It's kind of funny to think about. Dad and Carl are probably some of the biggest, most manly people I know, but they're scared of some carnival rides.

When we arrive, my nerves only grow. But in a really, really good way. The tingling throughout my body is just pushing my feet closer and closer towards each huge ride near us.

"Jeez, it's so crowded," Tyler groans, looking around. But I couldn't care less. This might be the funnest thing I've ever done.

Hazel grabs my hand and we run toward one of the bigger rides. I look up in complete awe. It looks freaking terrifying, but that just makes it better.

I turn around and find Hugh's eyes while pleading with mine. "Can we go on this one first?"

He smiles and nods. "I think I'll just watch for this one. It goes a bit too high for my liking."

I laugh and nod. "You guys coming?" Killian nods and Tyler just runs ahead of us, towards the line.

It takes a little while, but eventually it's our turn and we find our seats. Killian and Tyler sit together while I sit with Hazel.