Thirteen

Tessa

I'm going to tell them the truth.

Well, part of it. I can't tell them everything, but I can't lie anymore, either.

They're just going to have to be okay with what I'm going to give them, and they're gonna have to trust me.

Last night, dad was right. I do have my reasons for keeping things from them. And they're important ones, too.

I know exactly what dad will do with the truth. What any of them would do. No matter how much I'd beg them not to.

They'd go to the police to track down Viper and ultimately get themselves and everyone else I love killed.

Not only that, I'd be back in the place I tried so hard to escaped.

And that just can't happen.

I make sure to wait until dinner to come out of my room. I couldn't bare seeing anyone, and none of them tried getting me out of bed.

I even skipped school, so I'm a little surprised I wasn't questioned. But I'm glad they left me alone.

They know I need my space for the moment, and I'm glad they're respecting it.

I've thought a lot. Again and again about what I'm going to do. How I'm going to deal with this situation.

And only one solution has stuck. So I'm going with it.

If it's not good enough for dad and my brothers, then too bad. I don't care how harsh it is, this is for their own good.

This is my problem, not theirs. And although they're my loving, wonderful family, I can't let them help me with this.

This is something only I can handle. I have to deal with it alone. There's no other reasonable option.

And I don't care how powerful dad might be. I'm not risking his life just so he and the others can be satisfied.

I'm out of my room as soon as Carl yells, "dinners ready!"

I'm nervous, but that doesn't matter. I just have to get this over with. Then hopefully they'll leave me alone for good.

Even if it doesn't work, it's worth a try.

I sit down in my seat and gobble down my food. I'm starving.

I sit still after finishing my food for a while, building up the courage to speak about such a tender subject in front of everyone.

I pinch my thigh and take a deep breath, "Um, okay, I don't really know how to say this in the right way, but whatever. Obviously I wasn't in foster homes all this time, but you guys already knew that, right?" I say, looking around. Some of them nod, and others just look away, like they should be ashamed that I'm a bad liar. That's funny. "I can't tell you where I've actually been, or what happened to me. But I need you to trust me on this, okay? I have my reasons, and no matter what, you just can't know. I know this probably isn't doing anything to ease all of your curiosities, but it's all I can give you. Just this once, trust me. Please. If I could tell you, I would. It's not because I don't trust you guys, and it's not because I'm uncomfortable around any of you. It's just too dangerous for you all to know, and this isn't your problem. It's mine. So, please, just let it go." I turn to dad, looking him right in the eye. "I'll go to the hospital for a checkup if that'll ease your mind a bit, but that's the best I can do. I'm sorry."

It's quiet for a little too long, and I almost get up and excuse myself, but dad speaks before I can.

"Okay." I look at him, and he looks sad. But I can tell he's decided to trust me, and when I look around, although they're more hesitant, everyone else has, too. "I would like you to visit a doctor, and I would like to know if you have more injuries other than that bruise. But besides that, I'll trust you. I promise."