Twenty-six

Tessa

"Like this?" I ask, turning a little more towards Hazel. Tyler nods and puts his camera up to his face.

He takes a few shots and then bosses Hazel around. She hugs me close while nodding at Tyler's instructions and I hug her back, smiling.

It's been a week and a bit since Hazel's birthday, and honestly, somehow, I've gotten extremely close with her in that short period of time.

I think she noticed that I've been acting weird or something since the date, because she's been asking to hang out with me non-stop.

I'd be surprised if there's still something I don't know about her.

And the best part is, despite having spent most of everyday of this week with her, I'm not sick of her!

Normally I'd be dying of tiredness after spending so much time with one person, but with her, my energy never ceases.

It's kind of weird. But I love it all the same.

"Okay, that should do for now," Tyler says, putting his camera away. "I'll have a look at these and let you know if any of them work."

Tyler asked me and Hazel to model for him, believe it or not. I think he might paint us, but he won't tell us why he wants to do a photoshoot.

Maybe he's just shy. What a cutie pie.

"Okay!" Hazel sings, and then grabs my hand. "Come on! I have something for you."

I laugh as she pulls me back into the house from our backyard. "What? What is it?"

She drags me up to my room and locks the door behind her. Then she goes to her bag, pulls out a wrapped gift, and makes me sit down on the bed.

After taking a seat besides me, she hands me the present.

"I know there's still a week until your birthday, but I just couldn't wait." I look at her shocked and then laugh.

"Well, thank you! Can I open it?" She nods excitedly and I rip the wrapping paper off to reveal a beautiful silk green dress. "It's gorgeous!"

Hazel nods and smiles excitedly. "I saw it and immediately thought of you. Try it on!"

I nod and rush into my bathroom. When I put it on, my stomach lurches.

Oh god, I can't wear this. It shows too much of my back. Too much of my scars. My past.

If I wear this, I'd basically be telling the world to judge and criticize me.

But how do I tell Hazel that I can't wear the dress she couldn't wait to give me? I can't do that to her. But I can't wear the dress, either.

Should I just tell her the truth? Should I just tell her why I'm not comfortable wearing revealing outfits like this?

She's my best friend. We might as well be sisters, that's how close we've gotten.

I'm gonna tell her eventually, anyway. Or she'll end up figuring it out on her own.

But am I strong enough to tell her where I actually was for the last four years? Can I physically bring myself to say the words?

What if she finds me disgusting afterwards? What if I just make things awkward and we stop talking as much?

Well, I guess this is the ultimate test for her.

If she stops talking to me because of what I've been through, because of the baggage I carry, is she really worth keeping as a close friend? As a sister?