CHAPTER 1: THE PICNIC

Mari's POV

The summer has been a blast, to be honest.

Ever since Ms. Bustier became mayor, Paris was a better place for everyone. There were eco-friendly policies guiding the city allowing for a sustainable environment. The town was cleaner, the air was fresher and the environment too was sustainable. The city had become more peaceful with the end of Monarch and Parisians are happy that their emotions will never be attacked again.

Except me.

Ever since I defeated Monarch who turned out to be Mr. Agreste, it has been a whirlwind of emotions for me. I feel terrible that I have to keep it not only a secret from Adrien from him, but I painted the man as a hero who 'helped' me defeat Monarch which cost his life. As if he didn't use my miraculous and Chat's to reconfigure the entire universe.

How doesn't anyone in this city connect the dots that as soon as his father dies, Adrien's mother is back hale and hearty? Are Parisians that dense?

Anyhow, the most important thing is to get the miraculous back. I've searched everywhere in Monarch's lair for it but I couldn't find it and Master Su Han has been on my neck for it ever since. As if he has helped these past few months.

But what if I never find it? What if it fell in the hands of someone evil? Who would've found it though and how? Poor Nooroo....

"Marinette?"

I blink as I realize that I am on a picnic with my boyfriend and the love of my life, Adrien Agreste. After all those months of staring at billboards and mumbling after the Adrien perfume ad, he's finally mine. All mine!

"Are you okay? You've blanked out for quite a while," he asks concerned.

"How long is quite a while?" I ask teasingly.

"3 hours."

"WHAT?" I shout wide eyed, causing Adrien to laugh

"I'm just kidding Marinette. You've been out of space for just five minutes." He then passes a video game controller to me. "Another round of Ultra Mega Strike III?" he asks, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Another round of seeing you lose? You bet," I smirk as I start the game and give him my best moves. Not up to ten seconds later, he lost.

"Hey! I was not ready yet!"

"Dude, you literally brought up the offer? You were more ready than I was."

"Are you ready for this though," he smirks as he grabs me on my shoulders, sending me off guard. Thanks but no thanks to my reflexes, I send us tumbling in the grass. I looked at him shocked while he looks so flustered and then burst out laughing.

"This looked way better and more romantic in my head I swear," he mumbled as I laughed even harder.

"Aww... but you already know that you don't need to try so hard to be romantic. I mean, you're Adrien, why won't you be romantic?" I said, staring at his emerald green eyes.

He then takes my hand and pulls me closer as he leans in.

"Hopefully, this will not be a dream where I eventually have to wake up for school," I giggle while blushing.

"School in the summer?" he asks quizzically.

"I mean, there's summer school and all but... shoot I just ruined the mood. Shut up and kiss me."

"WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH. That's too much PDA to take in my garden," a voice said laughing.

We look up to see a blond woman with green eyes looking at us with a smirk on her face.

"Sorry Mrs. Agreste," I say, cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"Yeah, sorry mum," Adrien says too.

"No issue at all. I brought a few fresh fruits from the garden for your picnic if you don't mind," she says, holding a basket full of berries, grapes, almonds and whatnot.

"Thanks, Mrs. Agreste," I said as she hands me the basket.

"No problem, and please, call me Emilie. Calling me Mrs. Agreste makes me feel old. As you can see, my skin is not old and wrinkly, it's flawless," she says dramatically.

So that confirms it. Magically enhanced slumbers do wonders on the skin. Who knew?

As Mrs. Agreste leaves us be, we discuss about going to high school.

"So we're actually gonna be high school students now? That sounds exciting," I grin at Adrien who gives me a forlorn look. "Hey, what's up?"

He sighs. "I still don't know what I want to be."

"Oh Adrien," I say as I hug him. "You'll find it. Don't worry."

"I hope so," he sighs again before looking at me with a sad smile.

I smile back at him as I look at the time before quickly jumping up from the picnic blanked. "Oh shoot, I'm gonna be late!" I yell before quickly putting on my shoes. I have an interview with Nadja Chamak as well as with Chat Noir. I've been spending too long with Adrien to notice that the interview was in five minutes

"Late for what?"

I snap back to look at Adrien as I begin searching for a lie. "I.... um.... Toilets! Yes! A plumber is coming to my house to fix a bad toilet because I accidentally stuffed a bunch of macaroons in it."

"You stuffed macaroons in the toilet?" Adrien looks at me puzzled. Even I look back at my statement and curse myself silently.

"Um... I mean... don't worry I'll explain later. I've gotta go. SeeyoulaterIloveyoubye!" I say kissing his cheek and bolting out of the garden and the mansion as fast as I can to the nearest alley.

"Why stuff macaroons in the toilet when you can give them to me instead?" Tikki pokes her head out of my bag looking amused.

"I couldn't think of anything else, Tikki. You don't know how much it hurts to lie to the boy you love," I sigh while Tikki hugs my cheek. "That's by the way; we've got an interview. Tikki, spots on!" I say as I feel the magic wash over my body transforming my usual outfit into my red and black-spotted spandex. Swinging my yo-yo to the nearest building, I make my way to the TV studio.