CHAPTER 8: THE MEETING

Mari's POV

"Did you really think that we won't see again?"

I turn to see Gabriel Agreste looking directly at me.

"I have no business with you, Gabriel," I answer coldly.

"Trust me, I'm here to help," he replies.

"Oh really? I never thought supervillains were capable of being helpful," I leer at him.

"Oh really? You don't need my help then," he says before walking away. After a while, he looks back and says "Adrien was a model," then fades away.

"Marinette! Wake up! It's 10pm!" Tikki says, waking me up from my slumber.

I get up and instantly zone into space. What did he mean by Adrien was a model. I mean, he forced him into modeling until he stood up for himself...

"He showed up again, didn't he?" Tikki asks. I sigh before nodding my head. "Don't worry, it's nothing." I look at my table clock and it is a few minutes after 10. I had agreed to meet up with Chat and the other superheroes to discuss how we could take down Lady Papillion, as well as solve the riddle she left. I transform and head up to the Eiffel Tower where Chat and the others were waiting.

"Sorry for keeping you guys waiting. Let's get down to business. As we all know, there's a new super villain in Paris, and we cannot afford to give her an opportunity to get Chat's and my miraculous, or anyone else's in particular. In this vein, we need strict measures to keep the city safe," I say as everyone nods.

"I'll be sending a schedule to the hero group chat. This is how we will be taking our patrols from now on. If any of you will not be able to take a shift that day, warn Chat and I on time so we can sub in for you. Got it?" more nods.

"Good. Now to the second part of today's meeting. This letter," I pull out the letter from my yo-yo and show it to everyone. "Why Lady Papillion would give us a clue to discovering anything about her, I do not know, but it's worth a shot investigating it."

Pegasus raises his hand and I beckon him to go ahead.

"Why don't you send it to the police for fingerprints, as well as to find out whose handwriting it is," he suggests. I shake my head

"Already done that," I say. "There was no fingerprint detected. And the handwriting couldn't be traced either. She did a very good job covering her tracks."

"What she's using it as a distraction?" Viperion asks "Y'know, to make us lose our guard or something..."

"That's true, but I have a very strong instinct that this is legit. That doesn't mean we're gonna lose our guard. We should be ready whenever Paris needs us," I say. "I'll send the letter to you guys on the group chat. Feel free to make any suggestions as to what it might mean. Let's break up guys. We'll start the new patrol tomorrow."

Everyone left, remaining Chat and I.

"Okay, I know something is in your head. What's happened?" he asked.

The confident smirk on my face was wiped off instantly as I met his eyes. His eyes bore deep into my soul, as if it were to bore out the truth about how I really feel. My eyes well up in tears and I begin to sob as he held me to his chest.

"I feel like a failure!" I cry out. "All this wouldn't have happened if I got the miraculous on time. We'd be free, the people of Paris would be safe and we would've been able to live our normal lives. But now, thanks to me, the city is in danger once again. I'm always messing things up," I cry silently into his arms.

"M'Lady...."

"I can't even imagine how Nooroo feels; to think he's free one minute and be in captivity the next. I've failed him," I choke out.

"M'Lady..."

"No matter what I'm always making mistakes! On Heroes' Day, I allowed us to be tricked that an illusion, which almost cost us our miraculous! I allowed my guard to slip, causing Master Fu to lose his memory! I made the mistake which made Monarch get all the miraculous back then. Now I..."

"M'Lady!"

I look up to see Chat with a forlorn look.

"Just because you made mistakes does not mean that you're a failure! On Heroes' Day, even if we got tricked, did Hawk Moth get our miraculous?"

"Well, no but..."

"Even when Master Fu lost his memory, didn't he pass the miracle box unto you, the greatest superhero ever known?"

"I wouldn't say the greatest...."

"Still! And even if you did lose all the miraculous, didn't you singlehandedly take down Monarch, and no wish was made?"

My body went stiff at the words of that.

"Chat, there's something I need to tell you. The truth is...."

CRASH!

I turn to see a villain coming towards us and turning everything into shoes, bags and even more clothing items.

"Do we seriously have to deal with another akuma on the same day?" Chat asks, just as exasperated as I am.

"I am Dark Chanel! And you Paris will pay for not giving me what I wanted!" after she aid that, she lunges at a building which immediately turned into a shoe.

"What happened to you?" I ask humorlessly.

"I was here to buy myself some shoes, and I was refused from getting the Louis Vuitton limited edition shoes!"

"Erm... isn't that a bit immature?" Chat asks, clearly uninterested.

"I guess we've got a Karen on our hands, Kitty," I eye-roll

A purple outline appeared on her face, and I was sure she was talking to Lady Papillon

"I know, Madame. Even though they're not exactly my style, you'll be perfect in closet. A Ladybug bag to go with some cat ears!" she says, and with that she lunged.

"Hey! I am well in season," Chat scoffs while I barely manage to pull him away from her attack.

Chat and I spent ten minutes fighting as she we dodged her cane which she used to turn buildings into clothes, and in a few minutes, Chat's staff was a fashion cane.

"Oh come on!" he whined.

"Not now, kitty! Focus!" I say as we continue to deflect her hits. Eventually, she gains the upper hand and sends me flying across Paris to the Louvre. As she lands, she hits her staff on the museum, and it instantly turns into a perfume brand.

"No respect for public property? How shameful!" I say as I summon my lucky charm, earning myself a roll of yarn. I look around and see a box of knitting supplies and a chopstick.

"Cover me, Chat!" I say as I run to get the materials needed. I began knitting a scarf.

"I always admire your knitting skills, M'Lady; but now is not the time!" Chat says, just barely dodging being hit by Dark Chanel's staff.

"Trust me, Chat! I know what I'm doing," I say before finishing. I immediately throw it at her and she shrieks in confusion. I manage to use this distraction to grab her cane and chuck it towards Chat Noir. He uses his cataclysm and we claim victory once again.

With a swirl of Ladybugs and a de-evilised butterfly, we fist bump as usual before we turn to see a girl with red hair in a ponytail. We help her up while I give her a magical charm and ask Chat to take her home.

"Okay then, I guess I'll see you tomorrow. See you next time, M'Lady!" Chat replied

"Same, kitty! Bug out!" and with that I zip away.