CHAPTER 12: THE ELECTION (I)- RESULTS

Mari's POV

In the next few days, the walls of the school were decorated with posters for the Student Council elections. Many colours filled the hallways with different faces campaigning for different offices.

However, the main competition was set between Luka Coffaine and Carl Anderson. Carl Anderson was one of the well rounded students of the school; popular, a bit athletic, and one of the schools biggest ambassadors. He had represented the school in so many competitions and had brought great honour to the school. Luka had also served well in terms of music-competitions, councelling and advice.

So basically it was between Grade 11's valedictorian and the therapist friend of all.

As custom of the school, the tenure would last for one year until the president resumes for the senior year. This would enable them focus in their last year of high school as well as boost their chances of getting into a good university.

The election has been the hot topic of the school. During lectures, the students had their classes; however during lunch there would be a very long line at the admissions office for voting. At the end of lunch, the students were sent away.

However, on the last day of voting (Thursday), the classes before lunch did not hold so that the remaining students would have enough time to vote.

Alya was running for the position of head journalist, the person who would be in charge of the school news and all that. She was livestreaming every day of the election to ensure that everyone had an equal chance to vote and no one could cheat the elections. I had voted with Alya on Wednesday.

After the last votes were cast on Thursday, the tension in the school was as thick as ice. Due to the elections, no quizzes were given for the next two weeks, but projects were to be used to determine our GPA.

"Okay guys," said Ms. Candice during English class on Wednesday, "So today in our class, we would be looking at diverse Literature forms around the world. In as much as we study the French Literature, we should also take a look at other novels as well as plays written all over the world."

"This is going to be a project," she continued. "I would be pairing everyone in the class in groups of two, based on your GPA so far. This means that the person with the highest GPA would be working with the person with the lowest GPA. This would serve as an advantage for both parties; an ability to rub minds and gain from the higher GPA and an ability to improve for the lower one."

"In this project, you are supposed to write on three central themes of the book you are assigned. And to ensure you both did the work, each person will write a separate summary of how he or she understood the book," she concluded before she began to pair.

Long story cut short, I was paired with Mylene and we were to work on a drama piece called 'Look Back in Anger'. Alya was paired with Rose, Nino with Alix and Adrien with Ivan. We were to submit our project on Monday.

On Friday, the lunch bell rang, and we all left mathematics class to the assembly hall where the winners of the elections were to be announced.

"Oh God I'm so nervous," Alya said. She had run against Sylvester Booker, an 11th grader and the recent head journalist seeking another term.

"Don't worry, babe. You're gonna get it," Nino said, pulling her close to him in an attempt to comfort her.

"Well, Sylvester had a pretty good run," Adrien noted. "I mean, he turned the journalist department digital, stopped it from selling the news and saved paper and trees. He's not bad at his work."

His statement earned glares from DJ and his girlfriend who muttered, "Nice pep talk, Adrien."

We got into the hall and sat down. After a few minutes, Principal Damocles mounted the podium and began to speak.

He began by welcoming the students to the announcement of the results. He said that the results were thoroughly counted and recounted, and that the election results were in his hands.

"But before I begin," Principal Damocles continued. "I would like to call on the resigning Students' Council of the previous year!"

Our school's custom states that on the day of the handing over, the former executive members will sit on a chair. When the new members are being called, their resigning predecessor will give them their badge and they would sit on the seat, confirming their position. Our school likes to adhere to customs for reasons I do not understand.

The resigning prefects sit on their reserved seats. However, the former president begins his resigning speech. He went on and on about what his team accomplished in the past one year and what they expect from the incoming executives. He appreciated everyone for the support he's been given and yada yada yada... until he concluded and takes a bow and sits on his seat.

And then it began.

"I'd like to begin with the new quarterback of the football team. This was exclusive to only 11th Graders. With the backing of 74% of the school population, the new Quarterback is..... Matthais Schleiden!"

With great fanfare, Matthais ran to the stage waving as his team mates cheered him on. The old quarterback shook hands with him, donned him with the quarterback jacket and made way for him to sit.

And so it continued. Various new executives were elected, each predecessor giving way for them to take their pace.

"And now, for the head journalist... as you know, the post is open for both 10th and 11th graders....." the principal said.

I squeezed Alya's hand while Nino kept reassuring her that she'd be fine.

".... And with a victory by landslide of 85% of the votes, your new Head Journalist is no other person than... the brain behind the Ladyblog, Ms. Alya Cesaire!"

Everyone in the 10th grade screamed while Alya just blinked in shock.

"I won?" she asked looking at me for confirmation. I could only smile and nod my head. "I WON?! NINO I WON!!!" she said hugging her boyfriend before she finally gained her composure and walked to the stage. With a firm handshake by her predecessor, her badge was donned on her and she sat.

"Up next we have the school DJ!" the principal announced, causing the students to murmur. "Yes, this was not one of the open elections. This position was appointed by the staff and it goes to.... Nino Lahiffe!"

Nino's shock was priceless. He was so surprised that he was given this position. But then again, he had always DJed for the school, so it was only a matter of time before it became official. He walked to the stage and was given a new official headset as the school DJ.

"And now students, the moment you have all been waiting for.... Our new Student Body President. With 79% of the school's votes.... your new President is.... Luka Coffaine!"

Everyone celebrated while Luka just smiled humbly and walked up to the podium. Carl on the other hand, was not too happy.

"NO! I DESERVE TO BE PRESIDENT! NOT HIM!" he seethed

"The student body says otherwise, Carl," said Monseiur Richard.

"ALL OF YOU ARE SO UNGRATEFUL!!! AFTER ALL I'VE DONE FOR THE SCHOOL!!!! MY GRADES ARE GOOD, I AM ONE OF THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYERS IN THE SCHOOL!!! I HAVE REPRESENTED THE SCHOOL IN SO MANY COMPETITIONS, WINNING ALL OF THEM! AND THIS IS HOW YOU TREAT ME?!" he shouts as he runs out of the hall crying, his friends running after him.

Lila's POV

"Imagine losing all your dreams and aspirations just because of an election," I chuckle to myself, already in my villain outfit. "However, a lost dream is an asset to achieving mine."

I grab a butterfly, akumatise it and send it away. "Fly away, my akuma; and evilise him!"

My akuma locates him in the boys' bathroom, crying as he laments his fate and vanishes into one of the torn posters he was with.

"Your dreams plummeted after all you've done?" I begin. "Don't worry; if you can't have your dream, then no one will. Franchise, I am Lady Papillon. I am giving you the power to make people become your followers and punishing those who wronged you. All I ask is for Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculous."

"It's a done deal, Miss," he replies as I fully take over his being.