5: Acquainted

Quinn knows what's going to happen next. Jae's parents will come over and have dinner at their condo. She's very particular about the scene because it hits close to home. She vividly remembers that Jae's supposed to cook Paella. Paborito kasi ito ng mama niya at ni Amara.

Quinn wants to portray what's family is like for the Evans, and the importance that Jae should live his dreams. Hindi ito magiging si Jae kung wala itong sariling ambisyon. Besides, she wants to show her readers the courage to fight for their passions.

So, there are certain issues that she wants to address in this chapter. That includes the fact that Jae wants to impress his dad and rub it in his face that he's doing well in his profession. Wala talaga itong hilig sa business.

Dapat maipakita nito that he's handling his life well. Tiyak na gigisahin si Jae ng pamilya mamaya kung madadatnan nila itong hindi handa sa pagbisita. His parents' will instantly assume the worst of him.

Cooking Paella is also her thing dahil paborito talaga iyon ng nanay niya in real life. Parang may kung anong kumurot tuloy sa puso niya dahil hindi niya ito kasama ngayon.

She wants some bits and pieces na nire-relate niya ang story. Mas madali kasing magsulat kapag ganoon. At the same time, Quinn also wants to see that her novels are personal to her.

Ngunit palaisipan pa rin sa kaniya ang nangyari kay Amanda. Side character lang ang intensyon niya rito. Siguro ay nabubuhay lang ang mga ito sa mundo niya without her knowledge? After all, they have life here.

But this world is supposed to be her haven. So what the hell is happening?

Napabuntong hininga siya nang makabalik sa paahan ng condominium. She works her way up only using her instincts. Hindi niya kailangang manghula pa ng floor o unit number. This is exactly how she's written things.

She's about to buzz on the door when it suddenly opens. Bumungad sa kaniya si Jae. And what surprises her the most is the unpleasantness on his face. Napa-atras siya. He looks like he's about to explode. Napakalalim ng gatla sa noo nito.

But before she can even take another step away, he grabs her by the wrist and immediately pulls her inside.

"What the hell are you thinking? Don't you know that we're actually in danger right now?! There are men still on the loose. The same men that are after you!" he says in a reprimanding voice. Nakahawak ito sa magkabilang balikat niya at wala siyang nararamdamang sakit kun'di init mula rito.

O-kay?

Sinuri siya nito mula ulo hanggang paa.

"We're worried about you!" He says in exasperation. All she can think is that they're so close— too close that her lungs are robbed of oxygen. Ni hindi siya makapag-isip ng maayos kapag kaharap ito.

Nagtama ang tingin nila. Their eyes are locked for a moment until he breaks the contact.

"I shouldn't be this worried," he mutters under his breath. "Saan ka galing? Have you seen anyone following you around?"

She can only blink. And blink. Nothing but blink.

"Is that her?!" Rinig niya ang tinig ni Amanda mula sa kusina. Kumaripas ito ng takbo papalapit sa kanila at sinalubong siya ng mahigpit na yakap.

"Nakita mo ba si Leo?" Nakangiting tanong sa kaniya ng dalaga.

Jae— who has been set aside— further questions Quinn. "Who's this Leo?" Iritable nitong tanong. Hindi siya makasagot sa mga katanungan nito.

"Can he keep you safe? Sino ba siya?" Pang-uusisa pa nito. Kung jowa niya siguro 'to in real life, sasabihin niyang nagseselos ito. But he knows Jae out of all people. He's always rational.