19: Ending Soon

Katahimikan ang bumalot kina Jae at Quinn nang unti-unting magdilim ang kapaligiran. Magsasara na ang amusement park at pauwi na rin sila. Para silang nagising sa katotohanan nang makarating sa parking lot.

The fun is over. Now, reality is slowly kicking in. Ngayong nawala na ang ingay sa paligid nila, kinakain sila pareho ng kaniya-kaniyang iniisip.

Quinn thinks that she can no longer continue and go back to her parents. Wala na siyang ibang rason para manatili dahil mas nag-uumapaw sa kaniya ang sakit na nararanasan niya ngayon.

Hindi niya alam kung anong tumatakbo sa isipan ni Jae sa mga sandaling ito. Tila lunod na lunod din ito sa pag-iisip. Perhaps he's regretting this.

"I'm sorry, Jae. I'm such an inconvenience."

Doon lang natauhan ang binata. He looks at Quinn. Her voice is so indifferent that it is scaring him. He doesn't want to lose her.

"No, no. Don't think like that."

He's starting to panic, but she smiles at him. Instead of mounting the car, she leans her body against it and looks at the sky.

"Do you really want to pursue business?"

"You know that I have no interest in it. But when I've heard that you are the heiress of J&Queen, I've tried to engage at it."

"But why?"

"Because I... I thought that was my way to get closer to you. But I guess I'm too late. I have had a hard time with its transition."

Hindi nakaimik si Quinn. She should be happy. Pero hindi niya kaya.

"Jae, what happened to you? Did I change you that much?" Worry etches on her face.

"Quinn, this is what I like."

"But without me, what's your purpose in life? Jae you cannot simply let go of things because of me. I'm not even worth it."

Jae is about to protest when Quinn slams the car door as she goes into its passenger seat. Hindi niya ma-gets kung bakit nagagalit ito sa kaniya. She should be happy, right? Because he's doing things for her. Is he mistaken?

Panay sulyap ni Jae sa dalaga habang nagmamaneho siya. Hindi na muling kumibo si Quinn nang makasakay ito sa kotse. Hindi na rin siya umimik dahil mukhang galit nga ito sa kaniya.

The silence is suffocating him. Ayaw niya ng ganito. "If you like, I'm going to grab Alayah's offer. I'm going to continue doing photography."

Mas lalong na-frustrate si Quinn. "Jae, can't you hear yourself? You're going to do something for me again. How about yourself?"

"But I... I genuinely like what I do now. Gusto ko namang pumasok sa business. What are you mad about?"

"Hindi ka naman gan'to rati, e." Quinn's voice breaks.

Jae hits break right before the middle of an intersection. Naabutan pa sila ng stop sign. Ngayon, malaya niya nang pinagkakatitigan ang dalaga.

"Right, because I am just a character in your eyes." His gaze could bore a hole on her.

"You and me, it can't happen," dagdag pa ni Jae. Bitterness assaults his tongue.

Their eyes continue to lock. Quinn cannot say anything else because it's true. Her eyes glisten in tears.

"I've read your notebook. I think I know how can I get you out of here. I know that this is too much for you."

Quinn breaks into tears. Umiling-iling siya. She wants to stay with Jae forever, but her selfishness will just attract harm in their way. Kahit na magtagumpay siya ngayon, hahabulin at hahabulin sila ng sariling multo.