12: Getting Out of Hand

Great. Just Great.

Tila kaharap ni Quinn ang dating nobyo at hindi siya mapalagay. She wonders kung siya lang ba ang na-a-awkward-an sa kanilang dalawa ngayon. Hindi niya alam kung anong naka-kondisyon sa isipan ng binata. Kilala kaya siya nito?

He looks self-conceited though. Napa-iling na lang siya.

"How's everything going on between you and Alayah?" Hindi niya na mapigilang magtanong. She at least needs to know the progress of the story kahit na nagugulo ang plot ngayon. It's getting out of hand at hindi niya hahayaang lumala pa ito.

Surprise is written all over his face. "You know that I'm associated with her?"

She wants to roll her eyes at him. Malamang, ako ang gumawa sa katauhan niyo.

"Wow, okay. I have had this conversation with her a few days ago. I'm happy that people do recognize us together." He looks eager to talk about them. Napangiti siya roon. That is a relief. It lessens her awkwardness now that she knows that Ethan is into Alayah.

"But, well... you're Sir David's daughter so you probably have connections." He shrugs.

"By the way, he's requiring me to attend a business event with you tomorrow. Nasabi niya na sa'yo? Is that why you came to the office?"

Wala sa sarili siyang napa-iling. What event? Walang nabanggit sa kaniya ang tatay. She gets that Ethan is the C.E.O. of J&Queen Co. Natural lang naman na um-attend ito ng social gatherings on the behalf of the whole company. However, bakit kasama pa siya? Hindi kaya't sini-set up siya ng ama?

"J&Queen is launching another business venture. This time, a telco line," Ethan says while casually slicing his steak. She's too stunned to speak. Ganoon na pala talaga kalaki ang kumpanyang inaalagaan ng kaniyang tatay? As in? It almost dominates all fields of business, it's very diversified. Hindi niya aakalaing pati telco line ay papasukin nito.

"What do you think about it? Our team proposed this last year."

Her ears perked up. "That's fast," she can't help but say in awe. Noong nakaraang taon lang 'yung proposal and then it's being in action? At ila-launch na. Ibig sabihin, sa loob ng taon, naging mabilis ang progress nila at sure nang functional ito.

"Well, you have to seize the opportunities these days. Besides, it's a joint venture with my dad so everything's easier."

Wow, she has no idea. There's a lot more of him that she doesn't know.

"By the way, it's just going to be you and me tomorrow. Too bad Jae can't accompany you." Sumimsim ito sa kopita.

"How is he, anyway?"

Oo nga, kamusta na kaya si Jae? Napailing siya sa naisip. She shouldn't be attached to anyone in this world. And she's sure he's doing well now. Gaganda na ang career nito. "He must be doing well."

Hindi na niya binigyang pakahulugan pa ang naturang event. She knows that it will be a huge occasion for her dad and she wants to express her support by being present at every milestone of his life. At dahil inimbitahan naman siya, wala siyang rason para tumututol.

But the gathering tomorrow is not something she'll expect.

"Ikaw, anong pinagkakaabalahan mo ngayon? You know, you're a mystery to me. For years, you've been kept hidden in the dark; walang nakakakilala sa'yo. It's given because Sir David is very private," his eyes linger on her. "But what makes you come out into the limelight?"

Hindi niya in-expect ang tanong nito. "I've seen your pictures circulating online. You guys did a fantastic job with your photo shoot."

Sa gan'tong extent talaga nakaabot ang virality ng ginawa nila? Hindi niya rin in-expect na may pakialam pala si Ethan sa mga ganitong bagay. She thinks that his life literally revolve around work. But maybe he's seen the photos because Jae is also his friend.