17: Drifting Apart

It's all over the news— Jae and Alayah have been dating behind the camera. Maraming pictures ang kumalat online. Picture nila simula noong umalis sa unit ni Jae hanggang sa pagiging intimate nito sa kotse. Everyone has been easily fooled that they have been making out inside the car. The pictures are intentionally captured with malice.

Both Jae and Quinn scour the internet in different places concurrently. And they're both crumbling as they scroll through various news reports.

Nanghihinang napaupo si Quinn habang nagpapahinga sa office ni Ethan. Naghahanda ang lahat para sa party mamaya na idaraos din sa J&Queen complex. It has to happen.

"Eth, how can you take all of this?" She turns to face Ethan who has been at his desk all this time, quietly working.

Saglit na nagtama ang tingin nila at kaagad na nagbawi ng tingin ang binata. Nagpatuloy lang ito sa pagbabasa ng mga report tungkol sa kumpanya.

"Do you really love her, Eth?"

Ethan unconsciously starts to tap his pen on the desk. He's unable to concentrate. But he continues to pretend like he cannot hear Quinn. He doesn't want to entertain this nagging feeling inside him. It cannot continue for everyone's sake.

Quinn takes his silence as a yes. Siguro dahil alam niya ang takbo ng istorya. "You love her, but love isn't enough to pursue her," she states as a matter of fact.

Nabitawan ni Ethan ang hawak na ballpen at report. He looks at her with surprise. How does she know?

"Eth, maybe we can do something to stop all of this." Hirap na hirap si Quinn sa kalagayan nilang dalawa.

Hindi kaagad nakabawi si Ethan sa tinuran ng dalaga. Ayaw niyang magbakasali. Ayaw niyang sumugal. He might just be discarded easily. He has been working for his only pride— his reputation at work. Ayaw niyang mawala ito. And for worst, being against his parents might be his cause of death.

"I... I don't know, Quinn. Does it really matter now when they've found their happiness already?"

Napatingin naman si Quinn sa sceen ng cellphone. Deep inside of her, she knows that their relationship will thrive soon.

Sina Alayah at Jae rin naman talaga ang endgame kahit na magkandarapa sila ni Ethan sa paghahabol. She knows that the plot will soon takes its course and continues to unravel. Hindi niya na iyon mapipigilan pa. Hindi niya na iyon mako-control.

So what's really the point of going against this marriage? Tama nga si Ethan. They'll just make the fools out of themselves. Sa huli, sila rin ang talo.

"You're right, Eth," she says in defeat.

Hindi niya na dapat guluhin pa si Jae. Mukhang masaya na ito sa piling ni Alayah. Meanwhile, Quinn has to carry on in this life.

Nabalot ng katahimikan ang silid hanggang sa may kumatok sa pintuan. Ethan's secretary are now inviting them to come at the party. Mukhang magsisimula na ito any minute.

"Let's find happiness for ourselves, Quinn," ani Ethan. Binigyan siya nito ng tipid na ngiti. He presents his arm for her and she clings into him with a weak smile.

Sana nga ay maging masaya rin sila. How hard can it be when they've got each other's back?

Meanwhile, we can see Jae on his condo unit. Kaagad itong umalis sa J&Queen kanina pagkatapos ng meeting. He can no longer bear seeing Ethan and Quinn together.

They look contented with each other. Iyon ang pinakamasakit makita para kay Jae. Ayos lang si Quinn kahit wala siya sa tabi nito. Ethan is already there for her. Where can he fit in the equation?