23. Heart-quake

Vaani's Pov

'Love at first sight ? Nice dude !' Agastya commented.

We all were seated for dinner in our dining area.

'Dev, you could have told us.' I said.

'Yah ! I planned on telling you guys but then things happened.'

'What things ?' Shashank questioned.

'Actually last Sunday we planned on going on a date but then an emergency case came up and in the midst of everything I kind of forgot to inform her that I can't make it and I may or may not have stood her up.' Dev explained.

'Shit bro ! That's bad.' Shashank commented.

'So, did you apologise ?' Tisham asked.

'As in person ? No. I mean I kind of called her up and said sorry but the tone of her voice over the phone seemed fearful.' Dev said.

 'Dev, she wouldn't murder you for this you know.' Tisham said. 'So just go and apologise to her in person.'

'I absolutely get you Dev. I mean apologising in person seems life threatening.' Shashank said.

'What do you mean my dear boyfriend ?' Tisham asked.

'Nothing my dear girlfriend.' Shashank said, giving a cheeky smile to Tisham who was looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

'Tisham, these guys here are super dramatic.' I said, pointing at all three of them. 'So babe, instead of concentrating on them, let's concentrate on food.'

Our dinner session was followed by funny banters, giving tips on how to apologise, nonsense debate on how apologies in person seems life threatening and Shashank on his futile efforts to romance with a fuming Tisham.

Shashank and Tisham left a bit earlier. 

'Dev, I am not saying anything to Sahana. But let us meet her soon as your girlfriend, huh ?'

'Yah dude, remember it's you job to fix hearts.' Agastya said, tapping Dev on his shoulder.

'Right.' Dev said, laughing heartily. 'Bye guys !'

Next Morning

'Good morning ma'am.' Ritam greeted, coming out of Agastya's cabin.

'Good morning. Is Agastya in his cabin ?' 

'Yes ma'am.'

'Ok.'

I entered inside to find a busy Agastya, with the sleeves of his black shirt rolled up, engrossed in whatever work he was doing on his laptop. Momentarily, he ran his hand through his already messed up hair, trying to keep the few unruly strands which fell over his forehead in place. The silver watch on his right hand clinked against the table as he pulled the open file beside him to take a look at it. 

Wow !

'Vaani, quit looking at me.' Agastya's voice broke me out of my trance.

'Ok.' I said.

'OMG ! Never thought that Miss Vaani Banerjee will agree that she was checking me out.' Agastya said, his focus on his laptop again.

'Well, you are slightly wrong Mr. Basu. Mrs. Vaani Basu is agreeing, not Miss Vaani Banerjee.'

'Shit ! My bad.' Agastya said, giving me a smug look.

Stupid Agastya !

'Agastya here are the files you asked me check regarding our new project with the RC Group of Industries. Everything seems fine but I want to make a minor change on the design part.'

'Alright ! Arrange a meeting with the design team today only.' He said, still typing on his laptop.

'Yah, okay. Did you have your lunch ?' I asked, trying to gain his attention. 

'Yah. You ?'

'Yah, I had.'

'Ok then.' He said, looking up at me momentarily and then again going back to his laptop.

Stupid Agastya and his stupid laptop.

I turned around to leave his office when I heard a knock on his door.

'Come in.' He said.

In came Maya, busy fixing her hair and dress. 

'Sir, you called me ?' Maya asked, in her overly sweet voice.

'Yes. Take the file and make the necessary changes wherever you will find pencil markings.' Agastya said.

'Okay sir.' She took the three files from the table but before she could make her exit, the files fell down from her hand.

Great !  She should have fell down as well.

Before I could help her out, Agastya got up from his chair and bent down beside her to arrange all the papers in its proper file.

'Sorry Sir.' Maya said, almost crying. 

'Miss Sen, please. Here, take these and be careful from next time onwards.' Agastya said, handing her the files.

'Thank you so much Sir.' Maya said wiping her crocodile tears while looking at Agastya.

Evil eyes !

'You may leave now.' Agastya said.

'Agastya.' I called before he could go back to his stupid laptop. 

'Yaah.' He turned around to look at me.

I marched towards him, pushing him against his desk and held his collar.

'While I was talking to you, your entire attention was on your laptop. But just when that Miss Sen dropped her files, you left your all your work and ran to her.'

'Mrs. Basu, do I smell jealousy ?' He asked, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

'Shut up Agastya.'

'Well madam,' he turned our position, now I was between his desk and him, 'I didn't run to her. Rather I ran to put my papers in order before she could mess it up.'

'Good for you.' I said, looking up at him.

'What are you staring at Mr. Basu?' I asked.

'My wife.' He whispered, bending down at me, causing me to lean backwards.

After a moment of silence he asked, smiling at me, with a hint of amusement, 'Now, what are you staring at Mrs. Basu ?' 

'My husband.' 

'Shit !' He muttered and pressed his mouth to mine. 

The kiss was sweet, so effortlessly sweet. As he pulled me to himself, I could feel the thud of our combined heartbeat.

I placed my hand over the place where his heart resides.

'Heart-quake.' His lips rubbed over mine as he spoke. 

'Does that term even exist ?' I asked, wrapping my arms around his neck.

'Exists, because that's what you make me feel.' He replied, grinning against my lips.

____________________________________

💜